Skip to body

Office of International Studies and Programs

Give to OISP


Contact Us

Phone: +1-509-963-3612
More Contact Info

Central Washington University
Office of International Studies and Programs
Hebeler Hall 102
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7408

On-Campus Employment for International Students

As an International Student at CWU in F1 or J1 visa status you are permitted to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and full-time during breaks if you are pre-registered for the following quarter.

Note for student-athletes: Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) licensing may seem like an efficient way of making a little money on the side while maintaining your busy schedule, but though the NCAA is now allowing it, it is still considered a violation of your immigration status.

Finding a job:

All university positions are posted through MyCWU:

  • Use the path: MyCWU > Student Tab > Student Employment > On-Campus Jobs.
  • You can also ask in any of the departments on campus. Dining Services and Catering in particular hire hire many students and have a variety of jobs.
    • If a department does tell you that they want to hire you, you will still need to apply through MyCWU.
  • When you find a posting to apply for, Career Services can help you with your resume and cover letter in order to get the job.
  • Keep in mind that "Work Study" is a government financial aid program for US Citizens and Permanent Residents, not a general descriptor of student employment, so if a job is described as "Work Study Only", you are not eligible for that position.

If you have not worked in the US before and need a Social Security number:

When you find an employer that wants to hire you, your new employer must provide our office with a letter stating that you have been offered a job (we have a template here). The employer must print this on their letterhead with your name and information on it. Then the employer must sign the letter. Take the original employer letter to the Office of International Studies & Programs. We will make a copy and give you the original letter back along with the letter from your DSO, ARO, PDSO or RO. The Social Security office requires these two letters in order to apply for a Social Security card.

You will need to bring these documents with you when you go to the Social Security office:

The nearest Social Security office to Ellensburg is in Yakima. If you drive, be prepared for this trip to take up to three hours, total. You can also get there by public transportation, though that will usually take longer. Be sure that the Social Security office gives you a receipt for your application. This receipt is a letter from the Social Security office proving that you have applied for your Social Security card. You will need to bring this letter back to the International Center to complete the final pre-employment paperwork.

For all international student and exchange student employees:

The final pre-employment paperwork consists of verifying your I-9 and completing your profile in the Glacier Tax Database. OISP staff will help you with both of these. You will need to have your passport, visa, I-94, I-20 (or DS-2019), and Social Security receipt letter with you. You must complete this paperwork before starting work. When your paperwork is complete, we will provide you with proof of authorization to work on campus, and you will be able to start work, even if you have not yet received your Social Security number. The final pre-employment paperwork can take up to 45 minutes, so it must be scheduled in advance.

When your new Social Security card arrives, you need to come back to the OISP so we can get a copy of your Social Security card. At this time, you will need to go back into Glacier and provide your Social Security number so all your forms will reprint with your new Social Security number on them. You will then re-sign all new paperwork from Glacier with your Social Security card number on it. OISP will then turn in your new paperwork.

Please remember, after you have completed your Glacier paperwork, if you move, change your telephone number or make any changes in your visa status, you will need to go in and update your Glacier paperwork. Come in to our office and we will assist you (if needed) and you can print out your paperwork, sign and we will turn your updated information into payroll. Some Glacier paperwork has to be updated every year, so be prepared to come in December or January of each year you are at Central to update your file.

For additional information, or to schedule an appointment, come in to International Center 101, email, or call 509-963-3612.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.