How to Help a Friend
Individuals who are contacted by a person affected by a bias motivated incident should encourage that person to:
- File a Behavior of Concern
- Talk with the university's Vice President of Diversity and Inclusivity
- Call Police
If the victim wishes to speak only to you:
- Ascertain whether the victim needs immediate medical assistance. Ask the victim directly if he/she is physically alright. If the victim needs medical attention, refer him/her to the Emergency Room, Kittitas Valley Healthcare or the University's Student Medical and Counseling Center.
- Find out the victim's most critical concerns and respond in a non-judgmental way. Recommend appropriate resources for the victim and feel free to consult with the Incident Response Coordinator for additional guidance.
- Remember, the person affected may wish to do nothing further, other than have this conversation.
- Report the incident to Behaviors of Concern (names of victims are not required) .