Leaving CWU Checklists
For the Employee Duties checklist.
- Obtain resignation or retirement letter from the employee
For civil service, exempt and tenured/tenure- track faculty employees, attach this letter to the Terminate or Retire Manager Self-Service Transaction. This letter will be electronically retained as part of the transaction record.
- Terminate or Retire employee via MyCWU: Manager Tab > Manager Self-Service (left hand menu) > Terminate/Retire Employee
- For details on submitting the transaction, including what date and reason to select, here is a link to a video on Terminating or Retiring an Employee.
- The departing employee will appear on a daily Checkout Notice provided to applicable departments.
- If the employee is a supervisor, ensure they have submitted reporting changes via Manager Self-Service to re-assign their employees to a new supervisor
- Provide employee the Knowledge Transfer Template (PDF) if necessary
- Confirm employee has returned CWU property (keys, parking pass, computers, mobile devices, tools, safety equipment, uniforms, etc.) (Items can be returned to Human Resources, if necessary)
- Obtain voicemail password
- Have employee add an Out of Office email notice with replacement's contact information, if necessary. If no notice is added, a general message directing inquiries to the CWU Directory or service desk will be generated.
- Remove access to department list-serves and accounts
- If applicable, verify that employee has removed their iCloud account from all CWU devices (iPhones, iPads, etc.). Have them contact the Service Desk at (509) 963-2001 for assistance, if they are unsure of how to do this.
- For eligible retirees, submit a letter of nomination for distinguished service to Vice President, if appropriate
- For questions about termination or retirements, please contact HR, HR@cwu.edu, (509) 963-1202
- Ensure the employees records (regardless of format, including emails) are assigned to your designated record coordinator and retained for the required retention period. Contact Business Services if you need assistance (509) 963-2308.
- Optional: Feel free to print a Certificate of Appreciation (DOCX) or Certificate of Retirement (DOCX) for your retiree as a nice gesture. You might want to print it on cardstock or some other nice paper.
For Reference: Leaving CWU Checklist (DOCX)
- Submit resignation/retirement letter to your supervisor stating your last day of employment
- Complete the online Exit Survey – a link will be sent via email from HR
- If you have questions about your benefits, contact Melany Peterson at (509) 963-2269 or Melany.Peterson@cwu.edu
- If you have questions about a vacation cash-out and/or if you are transferring to another state agency, contact DeeAnn Karageorges, (509) 963-2321 or DeeAnn.Karageorges@cwu.edu. *Does not apply to Faculty*
- If you are a supervisor, please submit a Request Reporting Change for your direct reports in MyCWU via Manager Self Service, to reassign them to a new supervisor
- Remove your iCloud account from all CWU devices (iPhones, iPads, etc.). Contact the Service Desk at (509) 963-2001 for assistance, if you’re unsure of how to do this.
- Reset voicemail password and inform your supervisor
- Add an Out of Office email notice with replacement’s contact information, if necessary. If no notice is added, a general message directing inquiries to the CWU Directory or Service Desk will be generated
- If your mailing address has/will change, update in Self Service to ensure your W-2 tax information is mailed to the correct location
- If you would like to talk with someone about your CWU experience, we invite you to contact an HR Partner to schedule an in-person exit interview.
- Return the following items (as applicable):
- Connection Card
- CWU Keys to the Lockshop in Jongeward
- Parking Permit
- All CWU property (computers, mobile devices, tools, safety equipment, uniforms, etc.)
- Library Materials
Note: Items can be dropped off in person in Human Resources