Recruiting for Civil Service or Administrative Professional Positions
Follow the Recruitment & Hiring Checklist (PDF) to track your hiring process.
- Recruitment and Hiring Checklist - For Appointing Authority (PDF)
- Recruitment and Hiring Checklist - For Hiring Manager (PDF)
- Exempt Recruitment and Hiring Checklist - For Search Chair (PDF)
- Recruitment and Hiring Checklist - For Search Committee Members (PDF)
Refer to the Recruiting Solutions User Guide (PDF) for instructions on managing applicants.
- Vacancy or New Position
1. Write a position description describing what you need your employee to do
Need inspiration? Samples are available, below:
2. Submit position description for review to your Human Resource Partner to initiate the recruitment process.
3. Upon receipt of Job Code from HR Partner, submit Manager Self Service (MSS) action via MyCWU to request a new position or position change [instructions available in Recruiting Solutions User Guide (PDF)].
- Advertising Plan
- Determine scope of search: regional, statewide, national
- Determine recruitment timeline and where to advertise
- Create your ad & submit to TAT for approval
- Place your ads for two to three weeks
- Selection Process
5. Prepare for selection process (TAT will provide screening tool)
- Determine eligibility for reimbursement of interview expenses – Contact Purchasing, if applicable at x1004
- Review Moving and Relocation Reimbursement Guidelines - Contact Purchasing, if applicable at x1004
- Review Hiring Employee to Work Outside of Washington State and/or Hiring Non-US Citizens, if applicable
8. Check references
9. Call top candidate and offer the job – tell them it will be official as soon as the background check clears *Remeber: Start dates are 1st or 16th of each month.
*A background check must be completed for final candidate prior to a confirming offer.
- Hiring and Onboarding Process
12. Finalize and submit Search File to Human Resources.
13. Welcome your new employee!
|New Employee Start Date||Confirm Start Date||Verbal Offer & Start Background Check||Interviews||Prepare Posting||Process through MyCWU||HR Classifies Position|
|July 1||June 20||June 13||May 31||May 9||May 2||April 18|
Summary of Sample Timeline for New Hire:
HR classifies position on April 18th, job is processed through MyCWU on May 2nd, on May 9th job is posted, interviews begin May 31st, verbal offer and background check occurs on June 13th, hire start date is confirmed on June 20th, and new employee begins work on July 1st.
This page contains links to websites outside of www.cwu.edu. The views and opinions expressed on unofficial pages of Central Washington University faculty, staff or students are strictly those of the page authors. The content of such pages has not been reviewed or approved by Central Washington University.