Washington Paid Sick Leave Definition and FAQs
WA State Paid Sick Leave Balance in MyCWU
Washington State’s Paid Sick Leave Law (Initiative 1433 - WAC 49.46) went into effect 1/1/2018.
Beginning 1/3/2019, some employees received additional information regarding paid sick leave on their Employee Dashboard in MyCWU. Because CWU provides more paid time off than required to most staff, the university has chosen to designate the required portion of your paid time off for use under the Washington State Sick Leave Law.
As stated, Washington State paid sick leave is a portion of your regular accrual, not an addition.
Washington State Paid Sick Leave is administered by Washington State Labor and Industries. Information about the Washington State Sick Leave Law is available at their Washington State Labor & Industries website.
You may also contact your HR Partner (963-1202, HR@cwu.edu), or Payroll (963-2111, firstname.lastname@example.org) for information.
- What has changed?
You as an employee can now see, within your total sick leave accrual, the subset prescribed by the WA State sick leave law WAC 49.46.
- What does this mean?
In an effort to provide more transparency for the employee, the information that CWU has been tracking behind the scenes is now visible
- Has my accrual changed?
No. CWU’s accruals are more generous for most employees than this change in the law required. Review the Employee Leave page for more information.
- Has my use of sick leave changed?
- Is there a new sick leave code that I have to use for my timesheet?
- Is this the same as Washington State Paid Family & Medical Leave?
No. Washington State Paid Family & Medical Leave (RCW 50A.4) is administered by Washington State Employment Security, and is not related to Washington State Paid Sick Leave.
- Who is eligible to accrue sick leave?
See the Employee Leave page for more information on specific types of leave for all of CWU's different types of employees.
- Exempt Employees accrue per CWU Policy 6-60-110
- Faculty accrue per the CWU/UFC CBA
- Civil Service accrue per WAC 357-31
- Temporary/hourly employees; student employees; student employees (work-study); graduate assistants (office support) per CWU Procedure 3-40-042
- When can student, temp/hourly and graduate assistant employees use sick leave?
- All rehires are eligible to use leave once the entitlements are generated.
- All new hires will fall under the 90th calendar day waiting period.
- What can student, temp/hourly and graduate assistant employees use Sick Leave for?
Employees can use Sick Leave to care for themselves or their family members; when the employees’ workplace or their child’s school or place of care has been closed by a public official for any health-related reason; and/or for absences that qualify for leave under the state’s Domestic Violence Leave Act.
- Does work-study pay for sick leave?
Payment of sick leave cannot be charged to work-study funds. The sick leave will be charged to the department budget associated with the appointment.
- If an employee has more than one appointment/job, how is sick leave paid at time of use?
Sick leave is paid at the hourly rate the employee would have earned for the shift they were scheduled to work when they used paid sick leave. The cost of sick leave is paid by the employing department at the time the sick leave is used. For employees with more than one appointment/job, the sick leave is charged to the employing department for the shift they were scheduled to work when the sick leave was used.
- Can student, temp/hourly, or graduate assistant employees carryover sick leave?
Unused sick leave of 40 hours or less must be carried over to the following calendar year. Any accrued unused sick leave over 40 hours as of December 31 each year will be lost. For purposes of sick leave rules, a calendar year will always be January 1 – December 31.
- Will a student, temp/hourly, or graduate assistant employee receive payment for any unused sick leave when they separate?
No, they will not receive payment for any unused sick leave.
- If an employee separates, will the sick leave be reinstated if they return to CWU?
When an employee is rehired within 12 months of separation, all previously accrued unused sick leave will be reinstated and available for use.
- Where can I find guides to enter my sick leave absences?
Guides are available on the Payroll Services web site on how to enter your sick leave.
This page contains links to websites outside of www.cwu.edu. The views and opinions expressed on unofficial pages of Central Washington University faculty, staff or students are strictly those of the page authors. The content of such pages has not been reviewed or approved by Central Washington University.