Skip to body


College of Arts and Humanities
Give to History

Contact Us

Language & Literature Building
Room 100
(509) 963-1655

Follow Us


Transfer Students

Map of Kittitas CountyMany of our history majors and minors transfer in from other universities or from community colleges. The transfer process is usually quite seamless, but here are a few tips and suggestions to make the transfer easier. 

  • Declare a major or minor as early as possible. This will get you in the system as a history major or minor and will get you assigned to an advisor. 
  • If you are transferring in as a History Social Studies Teaching major, please check with the School of Education regarding their admissions policies, prerequisites, and timetables.
  • The lower-division US history sequence (usually number HIST 146, 147, 148 at Washington community colleges) corresponds to our HIST 143 and HIST 144. The lower-division world history sequence (usually numbered HIST 126, 127, 128 at Washington community colleges) corresponds to our HIST 101, 102 and 103.
  • We also accept Western Civilization (usually numbered HIST 116, 117, 118 at Washington community colleges) in lieu of World History for students transferring from those colleges that still offer Western Civilization.
  • Students transferring from semester-based schools should be aware that 3-credit semester classes transfer to CWU as 4.5 credits. You still only have to take four lower-division classes, even if they don't add up to 20 credits because of transfers. The additional credits can be made up through upper-division electives. 
  • Our department does not generally accept 100 or 200 level classes taken at community colleges or other universities as substitutions for upper-division major or minor requirements.
  • Keep CWU's residency requirements in mind. The CWU catalog states "Students must study on the university campus, through CWU online courses, or at an established university center at least three quarters and earn a minimum of 45 credits. Credits earned through industrial experience, military experience, or through credit by examination may not be used to meet residency requirements... Transfer student must earn a minimum of 10 credits in the major and, if a minor is declared, 10 credits in the minor from CWU."
  • Most of our upper-division courses (with the exception of Pacific Northwest History and US Military History) are offered once every two to three years. So, if there is a course that interests you, sign up rather than waiting. 
  • Most importantly, get to know your professors and classmates. We're all happy to answer any questions you might have!

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.