Skip to body

Financial Aid

CWU Summer Quarter

Financial aid eligibility for Summer 2022 requires completion of a 2021-22 FAFSA or WASFA.

If you have already completed the 2021-2022 FAFSA or WASFA and would like an estimate of the aid available to attend summer, contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your options.


CWU considers Summer Quarter to be the last quarter of the 2021-2022 academic year. However, summer aid is not included in your normal academic year award and requires separate processing. The types and amounts of aid available can be limited. 

Summer Cost of Attendance is based on the session length in addition to the normal Cost of Attendance budget items. Summer tuition prices are higher than Fall - Spring tuition prices. As a result, we highly recommend making an appointment with your academic advisor so the classes you take will be the best investment of your time and money. 

A 2021-2022 FAFSA or WASFA must be completed listing Central Washington University (Title IV school Code 003771) before we can determine your eligibility for Summer Quarter aid. The data must be received by May 31, 2022 to be considered for summer aid (if you have not already done so). Keep in mind, it can take time for FAFSA data to process be available at CWU. We recommend filing your FAFSA or WASFA at least 12 weeks before the beginning of Summer Quarter.

You will be responsible to ensure your tuition and charges are paid by the due date. Tuition for Summer Quarter is due on the second day of the quarter. 

Grants for summer

Good news! The Pell Grant, WA College Grant, and College Bound Scholarship are available to eligible students summer quarter.

Remember these awards are prorated (reduced) for less-than full-time enrollment.

For the Pell Grant, enrollment is locked on the 2nd day of summer classes. The Pell will be adjusted based on the number of credits on that day. Adding classes later will not be considered.

Also, using the Pell Grant in summer counts against the lifetime eligibility usage. For more details, visit this StudentAid.Gov: Pell lifetime limits.

Summer also counts against the lifetime limits for receiving the WA College Grant (maximum 15 quarters) and College Bound Scholarship (maximum 12 quarters). Keep this in mind when making summer plans so you are not left short of funding in future years.  

Summer loan information

Federal PLUS loans require a new PLUS Loan Application and credit check. Borrowers can complete the application at StudentAid.Gov. Be sure to select June 2022 to August 2022 for the application or loan term.

Borrowers with private loans must apply directly through the lending institution.

Minimum enrollment requirement

The full-time and part-time enrollment requirements for Summer Quarter are the same as for any quarter of the academic year. Continuing Education Credits and Non-Matriculated students are not eligible for aid during Summer Quarter. CWU credits count only if you are a CWU degree seeking student, the class is a regular credit class, and the class appears on your regular university class schedule. *NOTE: Students that have completed all of their degree and major requirements prior to summer are NOT eligible unless accepted as a post-bac or graduate student. 

**All students will be awarded summer aid based on the assumption they will enroll full-time.***

For students who are enrolled less-than full-time: after add/drop, Financial Aid staff will review enrollment and reduce or cancel any necessary aid based on enrollment proration rules for the specific aid types. This process takes on average one to two weeks. 

Summer Satisfactory Academic Progress requirement

If you are a continuing student, you must meet satisfactory academic progress requirements for the 2021-2022 year to receive aid for summer. If you are not meeting SAP requirements by the end of Spring Quarter 2022, your eligibility for aid will be suspended and aid your summer award may be canceled.

See the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy for more information. 

Summer refund and repayment policy

If you withdraw Summer Quarter, you may owe immediate repayment of aid you received (except direct loans that are payable according to the terms of the promissory note). If you withdraw during the federal refund period, (i.e., the first 60% of your enrollment period), the amount of aid that must be returned to the aid programs is based on the proportion of the quarter remaining (that was not completed). For example, if you withdraw with 80% of the quarter remaining, 80% of your aid funds must be returned to the aid programs. The amount that you must repay immediately depends on the amount of university fees and the type of amount of aid for summer. Please see the Return of Funds Policy


Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.