How to Log Your Field Experience Hours
How Many Hours Do I need?
450 total hours are required for certification. CWU reports field experience hours to the State of Washington's Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB) when recommending teacher candidates for certification.
You will log your hours on the MyCWU Field Experience Log. However, it is your responsibility to also keep a back up copy of your hours. Using this HOURS TEMPLATE spreadsheet for your own records will keep track of all information needed in MyCWU if you forget to log your hours in the system.
What Activities Count?
Teacher candidates can log hours spent planning, instructing, and assessing K-12 classroom learning under guidance from eligible mentor teachers.
Mentor teachers must be certificated with at least three years of professional teaching experience. When hours are being completed toward Field Experience (EFC 330), Student Teaching (EFC 480), and Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT) placements, the mentor will preferably be certified in the same endorsement area as the student is seeking. For other placement courses, the mentor teacher does not need to be endorsed in the same area as the student is pursuing.
Teacher candidates may use para-educator hours for their elementary practicum courses. However, para positions may not count toward Student Teaching hours. Please see our policy for additional details on placement restrictions.
Other experiences (ex: after school tutoring, day care) may count toward completion of your course requirements with instructor approval. However, these activities will NOT count toward your teaching certification.
Courses That Count Toward Certification:
- Student Teaching (EFC 480) – 350-400 hours
- Field Experience (EFC 330) – 60 hours
- Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Internship (EDU 572, 573, and 574) - 720 hours over three quarters
Lab and Practicum Courses:
- Practicum I: Instructional Design (ELEF 492) – 30 hours
- Practicum II: Differentiation (ELEM 493) – 60 hours
- Practicum III: Inquiry-Based Learning (ELEM 494) – 60 hours
- Practicum IV: Professional Engagement (ELEF 495) – 60 hours
- Other courses – Only courses that appear in your Field Experience Log count for certification.
Online Hours and ATLAS Videos
Hours completed online with mentor teachers in K-12 classrooms can be counted toward certification.
During COVID, some students are completing ATLAS video hours. Each ATLAS video counts as one hour, even if the hour is less than one hour in length.
When Can I Log my Hours for Each Quarter?
You can log hours completed during the following dates for each quarter:
- Fall - Students can log hours for time spent with their mentor teacher from September 1st- end of finals week in December. The log will remain open to changes from that time period until the end of March.
- Winter - Students can log hours for time spent with their mentor teacher from January 1st- end of finals week in March. The log will remain open to changes from that time period until the end of June.
- Spring - Students can log hours for time spent with their mentor teacher from end of Winter finals week- end of finals week in June. The log will remain open to changes from that time period until the end August.
If you have missed the window to log hours and the LOG button does not appear in your Field Experience Log you will need to submit a Reopen the Field Experience Log form to be able to make changes to a previous quarter.
MyCWU Field Experience Log Instructions
A video tutorial is provided below as well as written step by step instructions with screenshots.
- In MyCWU, go to the Student tab
- On the left menu, click on Records
- Click on the Field Experience Log
- When your log loads, click the LOG button.
- Click the magnifying glass by School District
- Click the Search Criteria arrow
- Search the Description for School District and select correct School District
- Click the magnifying glass for School Name. Only the schools in the selected district will be visible. All public and private schools in Washington are loaded into the Field Experience Log! If you are doing field experience at a brand new school your school may not be an option just yet. Request support from step 13.
- Click on the school you are completing the course in.
- Fill in the information about your mentor teacher and date of activity. This will save for every entry for this course
- Your CWU Instructor or Field Supervisor IS NOT your mentor teacher.
- Your mentor teacher is the teacher who you are assigned to for the field experience.
- Spelling matters! Your mentor teacher's first name, last name and school e-mail address need to be spelled correctly.
- Hit SAVE everytime.
- If you need help to reopen the log for a quarter you forgot to enter, fill out the form to re-open the Field Experience Log.
- For all other troubleshooting needs please e-mail SOEData@cwu.edu for assistance.
“Log your hours every day or every week. Setting aside time to keep a journal of your hours is important, and it takes longer than I thought it would take. Note what well and not well from your own teaching and your host teacher. I wish I took more notes, because I am already forgetting some of the master methods my mentor used to teach certain concepts.”
This page contains links to websites outside of www.cwu.edu. The views and opinions expressed on unofficial pages of Central Washington University faculty, staff or students are strictly those of the page authors. The content of such pages has not been reviewed or approved by Central Washington University.