- Pre-fall and Fall: Apply by April 1
- Winter: Apply by October 1
- Spring: Apply by January 1
- Review our placement processes and policy carefully. Failure to adhere to our policies may put your placement in jeopardy.
- Prepare your resume for submission with your application.
- Choose your placement preferences.
- Submit your application.
Do You Need to Take Field Experience (EFC 330)?
This course is designed primarily for secondary education majors. You will NOT need to complete Field Experience if any of the following are true for your program of study:
- Elementary education
- Early childhood education major
- Special education major
- Physical education and school health (PESH 438 will work as a substitution for EFC 330)
Complete the Prefall & Fall 2023 application
Field Experience students observe, assist, and reflect upon instructional and school activities for approximately 60 hours over the quarter. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, these hours and roles are flexible depending upon the capacity of the mentor teacher’s capacity, and hours can can be completed in a virtual environment. Learn more at the Field Experience course overview and course handbook.
Repeatable for Credit? No
Grading Basis: S/U
- PSY 314 AND either EFC 210 and EFC 310 (or approved Community College course substitution) OR
- EFC 250 (this course is a co-requisite or pre-requisite for EFC 340)
- Application submitted to the Teacher Certification Program, including submitted electronic fingerprints and purchase of liability insurance.
- All students completing an educational endorsement must maintain a 3.0 or higher GPA for the last 45 graded quarter credits, or CWU/transfer cumulative GPA. Students must also earn a minimum grade of "C" in all courses required for certification.
Jan Case (Janice.Case@cwu.edu) will send a code to your CWU email address after all students have been placed, and you will then register yourself for the course. Contact Jan Case for all questions about codes and registration. Please do not contact Teacher Certification or the placement team about registration questions.
If you take the course during the pre-fall time period before CWU classes begin in the fall, course credits will be part of your fall quarter credit load.
Financial aid will be charged for Field Experience tuition. If you do not receive financial aid, tuition is due on the same date as regular tuition for the quarter. It is charged at the per-credit rate for the quarter in which you enroll.
Pre-Fall Field Experience Option
Pre-Fall Field Experience course placements are generally completed during the first two weeks of September, although your school may request that you volunteer during the last two weeks of August. Specific dates will vary depending on the needs and schedule of the school district where you are placed. Learn more by viewing the Pre-Fall Field Experience course overview and course handbook.
Jan Case (Janice.Case@cwu.edu) will enroll you in the course once you have been cleared through the Teacher Certification office and assigned a field supervisor. This may happen during the summer, so please check your CWU email daily. You will not be allowed in the classroom unless you are registered.
If you take the course during the pre-fall time period before CWU classes begin in the fall, the credits will be on your fall quarter credit load. Financial aid will be charged for Pre-Fall Field Experience tuition. If you do not receive financial aid, tuition is due on the same date as regular tuition for the quarter. Note that pre-fall withdrawal dates are different than deadlines for fall quarter.
Field Experience Course Waivers
Field Experience waivers are designed for paid instructional assistants, paraprofessionals, and substitute teachers who have had one or more years of experience working in a public school system OR students who were enrolled in and successfully completed the Careers in Education/Teaching Academy (or equivalent) course(s) in high school.
Fall Quarter - April 15th
Winter Quarter - October 15th
Spring Quarter - December 15th
Learn more and submit a waiver on our policy page.
"Create relationships within your school. Use this time to make those connections, and be flexible. If you're asked to do bus duty, do bus duty. It's all part of the experience."
This page contains links to websites outside of www.cwu.edu. The views and opinions expressed on unofficial pages of Central Washington University faculty, staff or students are strictly those of the page authors. The content of such pages has not been reviewed or approved by Central Washington University.