Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
Earn an Emotional Intelligence Badge, a Certificate of Completion, and 5 Professional Development Units (PDUs) from Central Washington University’s Department of Continuing Education after successfully completing this web-based course!
Tuesdays from 4:00 - 6:00 pm PST
15% Discount for CWU Alumni
Sign up for the next session of Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
Sign up for the next session with Boeing's Learning Together Program.
Emotional Intelligence is now considered the most important skill of the 21st century, particularly for Leaders, and the greatest predictor of personal and organizational success. At its core, Emotional Intelligence is grounded in understanding yourself at a deep level and using that understanding to guide and manage your actions and behaviors. People who incorporate Emotional Intelligence in their professional lives report a higher level of personal effectiveness and career satisfaction.
Central Washington University's Emotional Intelligence course is co-facilitated by two industry experts that each bring their unique and diverse backgrounds to the classroom providing a fully integrated learning experience.
This fully immersive 5-module course takes you on a journey that begins with:
- A basic understanding of the science and business benefits of Emotional Intelligence
- The course will also provide a deep understanding of your self-awareness through a series of assessments
- How to regulate your behavior and understand those troublesome emotional triggers
- Communication and conversation planning skills to build rapport and authentic connection with others
- Building Mindfulness and using it as a tool for interpersonal effectiveness
- How to effectively highlight your newly acquired emotional intelligence knowledge through resumes, job interviews, and social media
- What you'll learn
- How to re-frame negative situations into strong learning experiences, and managing your behavior
- Emotionally intelligent communication skills and word choice, and a process to strategically plan effective and influential business conversations that improve personal relationships
- Refining your core values, and the skills necessary to create a strong personal brand that is rooted in authenticity
- How to use mindfulness and contemplation can be used as sustaining practices to keep growing in Emotional Intelligence, long after the course is over
- Various types of blind-spots and how to effectively manage them, your feelings, and behavior, from a place of self-awareness
- How to use feedback as a tool to accelerate your personal and career growth
- Grounding in the latest science and research so you can build emotionally intelligent teams and deliver training programs at your workplace
- Coures Format
This Emotional Intelligence course is a very robust web-based, live-instructor-led program that meets one evening per week via Zoom. This course meets the accredited requirements for receiving your badge in EQ for Professionals.
We will guide you in building your mindfulness and EQ skills from the first class onward. Between each class, participants will complete homework assignments such as taking brief assessments, reading from our course texts, researching articles or Youtube videos, watching short video lessons, and using the course workbook and journal to capture insights from each module and journal your use of the skills and tools as you go throughout your workday. We estimate 2-3 hours of homework/prework between each class.
Most of the time spent in class will be spent in peer discussions, breakout activities, skill practice, and completing real-world case studies. This is a very interactive program!
In order to establish a benchmark of Emotional Intelligence understanding, you are required to complete both of the following assessments:
- An Emotional Intelligence self-assessment (approx. 15 min.)
- Collect 360-degree feedback from at least five colleagues; this can include students, managers, peers, customers, and direct reports. This is to get perspective on what it’s like to work and interact with you, and to collect action items for you to work on during the course
Due to these assessments providing a base level of understanding in these areas and a method of measuring progress, it is required that you complete both assessments a minimum of one week prior to the start of the first session. Failure to complete these assessments will impede your course progress. It is highly recommended you begin the assessments as soon as receiving course materials.
- Topics Covered
- Relationship management
- Social awareness
- Building compassion into the workplace
- Communication skills, empathy, managing feedback, conversation planning, and coaching techniques
- Marketing and branding your certification
- Incorporating emotional intelligence into your resume & interviews
- Social Media Marketing using your newly acquired EQ knowledge
- Custom mindfulness workshop to accelerate and deepen your ability to pull everything you've learned in this program together and put it into action as a Mindful Leader
- Who should consider this course?
You should consider this Emotional Intelligence course if you:
- Know that you have blind-spots but you’re not sure how to handle them
- Have been told that you need to work on your ‘Leadership Style’
- Have trouble accepting and responding to negative feedback from managers and/or peers
- Struggle with controlling or suppressing your emotional triggers, including rumination and going into fight/flight mode
- Desire to manage yourself from a position of insight versus reaction
- Put yourself in victim mode when things don’t go smoothly in the workplace
- Cannot set and maintain appropriate boundaries at work
- Are easily influenced by others and change your decisions based on the opinions of others
- Want to create a positive professional impression on others, either through social media or in job interviews
- Feel you have trouble building and maintaining strong personal connections with your peers and co-workers
- Don’t trust yourself or the decisions you make when at work
The lessons taken from the EQ4PROS course have demonstrated value time and again. Working in the talent acquisition career space and interacting with individuals of varying backgrounds and disciplines have allowed me to take full advantage of the incredible toolbox of resources EQ4PROS provides. Regardless of whether someone is only beginning their career or a seasoned professional, there is a great deal of value and wisdom to be found through this course. Highly recommended.
Andy is a strong believer in the role that emotional intelligence, mindfulness, and organization awareness play in personal, leadership, and career success. Andy enjoyed a 30-year career in the consumer products industry working for companies such as: Pfizer, Diageo and eventually The Coca-Cola Company where he retired in 2017. While working for The Coca-Cola Company, Andy had the opportunity to lead teams in the sales, field marketing, category management and global customer development departments. Halfway through his career, Parks became an avid study of emotional intelligence and mindfulness; in what he calls “the turning point”, he began to incorporate both in his professional and personal life. After retiring from The Coca-Cola Company, Andy followed his passion and began teaching in Central Washington University’s Management and Marketing Department. Andy works with his students to understand the importance of self-awareness and emotional intelligence by including self-assessments and discussions as part of the course curriculum.
Liz Fifield is a Talent Acquisition Leader with more than 7 years’ experience in the talent acquisition and recruiting space. Liz’s passion is around building diversity and inclusion in corporate America through developing compassionate leaders. Liz believes that self-awareness and self-management are the building blocks for a successful career and can be applied to every step of the job search and advancement process. She coaches individuals to leverage their emotional intelligence skills to successfully navigate through a hiring process, integrate into a company’s culture then develop and communicate career goals.