In accordance with Central Washington University's response to COVID-19, the CWU Conference Program Office is currently closed. Staff are working remotely and responding to emails and voicemails during business hours. Please check current operating hours on the Conference Program Contact Information page. All summer 2021 Conference and Camps have been postponed until 2022. You can contact the Conference Program staff by email at Conference.Program@cwu.edu or by calling (509) 963-1141. For updates on COVID-19 at CWU, please visit the University's Emergency Website.
Summer Student Employment with the CWU Conference Program
The Conference Program offers CWU students the opportunity to engage in an office setting with a wide array of guests, clients and tasks during our busy summer operations, with an emphasis on customer service. Typical duties include:
- Checking guests in and out for their on-campus stay
- Answering phone calls and corresponding with guests by email relating to payments, lodging, meals, attending a camp or conference, on-campus locations, etc.
- Preparing keys and other materials for camp and conference check-ins
- Processing registrations in our event management software
- Monitoring residence hall buildings during late evening hours for the support of our youth groups
- Relaying information between guests or clients and full time Conference Program staff, and troubleshooting under limited supervision
- Checking meeting and academic spaces for accurate set up or client assistance when needed
- Checking meal times and food quality
- Office opening and closing duties
- Duties related the full time positions of Conference Facilitator and Housing and Registration Facilitator
Summer Conference Assistant jobs start as early as Spring Quarter, but no later than the week of Spring Quarter Finals Week. The job requires full availability to work 40 hours per week from Graduation Day through Labor Day, with limited availability for extended time off during the summer months.
Why work as a Conference Assistant?
Students who work as Conference Assistants can expect to gain invaluable office work experience that will boost their resume and provide a starter kit of skills that can be used in almost all job fields. Some highlights include:
- General customer service
- Professional email writing
- Answering and using multiline telephones
- Handling payment information
- Managing data in various computer systems
- Using Microsoft Suite for various projects
- Working under limited supervision and being self-driven
- Problem solving and decision making
- Working in a fast-paced environment
Each summer, the Conference Program hires roughly 8 student employees to join the team. The perfect candidate for the Conference Assistant job would be a CWU student who is enrolled in classes for Spring Quarter and Fall Quarter, but is fully available during Summer Quarter. Any experience gained through clubs, volunteer work or other jobs would be beneficial, although experience is not necessary. We provide on-the-job training for students who have the drive to learn!
Conference Assistant Job Application
For more information on the Summer Conference Assistant position, please email us at Conference.Program@cwu.edu
We are not taking online applications at this time for Summer 2021.