College in the High School
Phone: (509) 963-1351
Fax: (509) 963-1690

Guide for Student Participants

CWU College in the High School is an opportunity for students who are self-motivated and excited to get a head start on their academic career. This program benefits students and teachers across Washington.

Explore the topics below. If you have further questions, please inquire with your teacher, your high school counselor, fill out the Request Advising form, or send an email to

  • Student Responsibilities and University Policies

    As a student at Central Washington University, you have the responsibility to the College in the High School program.

    You are also required to be familiar and comply with all university policies and procedures, specifically those governing student behaviors. Failure to comply with these expectations may result in university contact and action to address the behavior, which could include removal from the institution. CWU Student Rights and Responsibilities

  • Which Students are Eligible?

    Students who are in the 9th,10th, 11th and 12th grades are eligible for the private pay Cornerstone model. Students who are in the 9th-12 grades are now eligible for the Consolidated Equitable and Sustainable (CES) Dual Credit Grant state-pay model (if your school applies for and receives state subsidies). Additionally, students must maintain a CWU GPA of 2.0 or higher to continue participating in the programs.

    Students interested in participating in College in the High School or Cornerstone need to speak with their high school counselor to find available courses. CWU registration will take place once students are enrolled in the correct high school class.

  • Registration

    Talk to high school teachers/counselors/administrators to see if CWU College in the High School is offered in your school, and which classes are available.

    • Fill out the appropriate registration form (see your high school teacher). They will submit the collected forms to CWU High School Partnerships office.
    • You will receive a letter in the mail from CWU with your CWU ID and username. (See sample "MyCWU User Letter" in Forms.) You need to then set up your MyCWU account. Keep this letter in a safe place so you can refer to it later.

  • Meeting Prerequisites

    In order to register for a particular class, students must meet the eligibility laid out in the CWU catalog and the Course Description and Prerequisites (Find it in Forms). Requirements usually vary between classes, but two common requirements are either successfully passing pre-requisite course work and/or placement testing.

    Note: If a student took a college class for credit to satisfy a prerequisite (but not through CWU), CWU CiHS requires an unofficial copy of the other college's transcript. The high school transcript will not satisfy the registrar.

    On our Running Start (sister program) website, there is a great explanation and additional information about qualifying for a class. *NOTE: Additional links found there will inform you about Running Start, which has many similar qualities but is different than College in the High School. You can navigate back to College in the High School using the tabs in the left hand column.

  • Testing

    Ask your counselor if your school is set up to offer the Next Gen Accuplacer placement test through CWU. These exams are computer-adaptive tests designed to assist accurate placement into appropriate courses for math and English. You will receive your test results immediately upon completion of testing. Talk with the proctor or your teacher about qualifying scores. Students who are taking Accuplacer Next Gen tests at school through CWU Testing Services do not need to provide copies of their scores.

    At Testing Information you will find an explanation of Accuplacer Tests, and downloadable sample questions to help you prepare for math, reading and writing tests.

    Any student(s) who are utilizing test scores from an outside agency must provide a copy of their results with their registration. Examples include AP, SAT, ACT, ALEKS, APTP (MPT), Compass, Smarter Balance, or Accuplacer (if not taken through CWU).

  • New Students Get a MyCWU Account

    The first time a student enrolls in a CWU class the High School Partnerships office will mail Username Letters. These letters provide students their MyCWU username, Student ID, and directions on how to set up their MyCWU account. Keep this letter in a safe place so you can refer to it later.

    Students are encouraged to create their MyCWU account right away. The MyCWU account allows students to access to their classes, final grades, transcripts (both official and unofficial), make a payment, etc.

    See a sample "MyCWU User Letter" in Forms.

    The High School Partnerships office does not maintain usernames or passwords for students. If a student loses this information, they must contact Information Services to have their account “unlocked.” Please contact IS Services at 509-963-2001 to unlock the account or go to

    Watch video: How to Set Up MyCWU for College in the High School

  • Student Evaluation of Instruction

    Near the end of every class term, all enrolled CiHS students have an opportunity to respond to a survey called Student Evaluation of Instruction (SEOI). The SEOIs are completely anonymous, the teachers will not be able to know who submitted answers or connect any answers to a particular student.

    This evaluation is beneficial both to the teacher, who can change and improve their teaching, and to the CWU CiHS program to help us deliver a better university class experience to high school students. It is part of the important information required by NACEP for accreditation.

    Students MUST activate their MyCWU account in order to participate. The link to the survey will be emailed only to the students who activate thier email account. The actual SEOI will go to the personal email address that was provided during registration.

    For in-depth information regarding SEOIs and how they operate with CWU College in the High School, please visit SEOI Information

    View a Sample SEOI created for College in the High School in Student Forms

  • Prepare for College

    There are a lot of things to think about as you get ready for the college and career stage of life. Make yourself familiar with the Prepare for College information which can guide your next steps and may prevent mistakes.

  • Additional Resources Offered by CWU

    As a CWU CiHS student, you can connect with a full range of student resources including academic, social and career support.

  • What if I want to withdraw?

    Withdrawing can be a difficult decision. Support for students takes many forms, and CWU offers these Student Resources. Students may also initiate a dialog, working with our academic advisors by submitting this webform.

    If they are resolved that withdrawal is the right action to take, comprehensive information that will help teachers process the student request will be found at Withdrawal Policy and Deadlines

    Be aware, even if a student withdraws, fees for courses are non-refundable.

  • What about paying for the class?

    College in the High School is offered through two different payment models.

    Students that fill out a Cornerstone form have had their parents/guardians accept financial responsibility for the class fees, and they could receive a bill from CWU. Students that fill out a CES Dual Credit form have been designated by their school as eligible to receive state funding and they will not receive a bill from CWU.

    Bills for Cornerstone class fees are sent in the mail, and include a postage paid return envelope.

    Payment can be made by mailing a check, which has the student name and ID number noted on the memo line, OR online payment can be made by the student by logging into their MyCWU account, and going through the "Student Financials" tab on the left hand column, following the prompts.

    CWU does not accept payment over the phone.

    There are a few unique situations where the agreement between CWU CiHS and a particular high school stipulates alternate financial processes, because scholarships or grants, for instance, may have influence. When in doubt about receiving a bill, check with the high school or email our Fiscal Specialist.

    Students, please include your name, student ID number, high school, class and teacher name on all correspondence.

    FERPA laws apply, and prohibit CWU CIHS from discussing student financial information with anyone other than the student, without express written permission from the student.

    Watch video: How To Pay Your Bill for College in the High School