College in the High School
Phone: (509) 963-1351
Fax: (509) 963-1690

Supporting Information for a High School Counselor

High school counselors play a pivotal role, when helping students achieve their higher education goals.

We strive to furnish support needed to make their position effective when it comes to working with students enrolled in CWU College in the High School.

It is our hope to provide material which helps connect students with CWU classes and credits. This will help provide learning-centered advising that supports diverse student populations.


Please review and share information about resources available to you, the administration, the teaching staff, and the students.

The College in the High School website provides a wealth of knowledge. The material is divided into four sections, depending on audience.

Counselors are advised to explore the information included in the other pathways as well as this Counselor Pathway, to get a full understanding of how Central and your school can collaborate to achieve success with your students.

  • The Administration Pathway contains useful material regarding state funds and billing, the interlocal agreement, accreditation, monthly reports, and other requirements.
  • The Instructor Pathway covers teacher qualifications, the application process, responsibilities, professional development at Summer Institute, and operations of CWU College in the High School within the classroom.
  • The Student Pathway concentrates on what the learner will experience and what they need to know in order to reach their academic goals with CWU High School Partnerships.

Full information for your teachers, students and administration is available through the Pathways links on our Welcome page, and our staff is available to answer any questions you may have by phone or email.

  • Advising is available for students

    Our office can help you and your students with questions. Encourage students to see Student Participation Guide, but also:

    • Students have the option to request advising assistance on the High School Partnerships website, using the Request Advising Webform
    • Advisors will contact the student to work with them on their questions.
    • Advisors can provide assistance with applying to CWU and selecting appropriate coursework to satisfy CWU General Education requirements.
    • If needed, we will refer to other CWU departments for more in-depth major advising.
    • We offer general transfer advising and planning for students who plan to continue their education at a different institution.
  • Help college-bound students choose classes
    • It is safest for college-bound students to take CiHS courses which are within CWU’s general education program as they are more likely to satisfy a high school graduation requirement as well as transfer into general education or AA requirements at other institutions.

    • In general, credits will only transfer if students earn a 2.0 or higher.

    • Encourage students to check with their chosen college/university in advance, to learn how potential credits will transfer. It is up to the receiving institution to determine how the credits will be applied. For example, a math class may satisfy a Gen Ed quantitative reasoning requirement, it may satisfy a Major program requirement, or it may satisfy an elective credit requirement.

  • Collaborate with teachers to register eligible students.

    See CiHS Registration Process for detailed instructions.

    Registration forms must be received by the High School Partnerships office before the stated deadline. Please keep in mind that schools that are on different terms (Semesters, Trimesters, Quarters) have different deadlines.Eligibility of students often depends on prerequisites, which may include previous coursework (e.g. passing Pre-calculus with a C or better, before being able to enroll in Calculus) or acceptable placement test scores. For a complete list of courses and their prerequisites, see "Course Descriptions and Prerequisites" in General Forms

    Test scores (if applicable) must accompany the registration forms.

    Only students who are qualified to take a class should submit registration forms.

    Note: If a student is registering for a class that has another college class as a prerequisite (for instance, English 102 has English 101 as a pre-req) and they didn’t take the pre-req class through CWU (for instance, the student received ENG 101 credit through Running Start from a community college), then an unofficial transcript from that college or university must accompany the registration form. The high school transcript will not satisfy the pre-req.

  • Testing to meet prerequisites

    Please see Testing Information for an explanation of meeting prerequisites through testing, Accuplacer Tests, how to become an Accuplacer testing site, and downloadable sample questions to help your students prepare for math, reading and writing tests.

  • Resources and Support from CWU

    Even more support is available to CiHS students through Central, including access to the Brooks Library, online tutoring and study groups, case management, disability services, and more.

    CWU Student Resouces

    Professional Development comes in the form of annual Summer Institute training. All new teachers are required to attend, and returning teachers must attend every third year (preferably more often). School and district administrators and counselors are encouraged to attend, to create a strong team and support the program. More on Summer Institute

  • Transcribing Dual Credit

    Rules regulating college credit earned while still in high school are governed by the State of Washington, and will affect a students high school transcript.

    Please see Transcripts and Transferring Dual Credit for in depth information and additional links.

  • Transferring Credits

    CWU credit is highly transferable. Colleges in Washington State have degrees and agreements to make transfer easier for students. Schools offer a variety of pathways for students who wish to transfer from one school to another.

    Please see Transcripts and Transferring Dual Credit for in-depth information and additional links.

  • Financial aid and dually-enrolled students

    Students who have not earned a high school diploma are not eligible for federal financial aid such as Pell grants or student loans. This is because financial aid recipients are expected to have completed high school. However, dual-credit coursework may affect students’ eligibility for financial aid in the future.

    The Financial Aid office tracks students’ progress, using a measure called Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Three types of monitoring - degree status, time-to-degree limits, and completion rate - are used to measure eligibility for financial aid. Different Universities and Colleges may use different SAP measures, for different state or Federal Financial Aid.

    General information you are encouraged to use while assisting your students is contained in the printer-friendly pdf Financial Aid and Dually Enrolled Students, found in Student Forms

    For more specific information, contact CWU Financial Aid.

  • If a student wants to withdraw from a course

    Withdrawing can be a difficult decision. Support for students takes many forms, but CWU offers these Student Resources. Students may also initiate a dialog, working with our academic advisors by submitting this webform.

    If they are resolved that withdrawal is the right action to take, comprehensive information that will help you process their request will be found at Withdrawal Policy and Deadlines

Central Washington University

CWU is an integral partner with your school and offers additional opportunities for your students to reach their higher education and career goals.

Please follow these links to additional information regarding how CWU departments cooperate with College in the High School:

  • Scholarships, fee waivers, additional advising are offered through CWU Admissions
  • Ordering transcripts and the complete undergrad course catalog are found at CWU Registrar
  • A more thorough explanation about CWU's Gen Ed requirements
  • Also see State and Federal Influences on College in the High School near the bottom of our welcome page.