What is a Title IX Administrator?
Title IX Administrators are individuals at Central Wasington University (CWU) who are involved in overseeing the Title IX process, investigating formal complaints, or adjudicating a formal resolution process after a formal complaint has been filed.
As outlined in the Title IX Grievance Procedure (CWUR 3-45-061, 2N), “Title IX Administrators” are the Title IX Coordinator, Title IX Investigators, Title IX Advisors provided by CWU during Title IX disciplinary proceedings, as well as all decision-makers and appellate officers in formal Title IX disciplinary proceedings, including the Student Conduct Officer, the Conduct Review Officer, the Employee Conduct Officer, the President or their designee, as well as members of the Student Conduct Council or Employee Conduct Committee.
For more information regarding each of these roles, visit "What Happens After a Sexual Misconduct Report" and "Policies and Process".
Expectations of Title IX Administrators
In compliance with the Title IX regulations and CWU procedure, Title IX Administrators must serve impartially by avoiding prejudgment of the facts at issue and performing their duties free from bias or conflicts of interest.
Title IX Administrators are required to participate in annual training on topics related to their role in the process, such as:
- The definition of Title IX sexual harassment
- The scope of CWU’s educational programs and activities
- How to conduct an investigation
- How to serve impartially without prejudgment of facts, conflicts of interest, or bias
- Use of technology employed during an investigation or hearing
- The relevance of evidence and questions
- Effective investigative report writing
Training Completed by CWU Title IX Administrators [Academic Year 2021-2022]
As required by CWU procedure and the Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 Final Rule, all training materials used to train Title IX Administrators are provided below.
If you have questions about the training materials, please contact Title IX Coordinator, Thomas Pedersen.
- Title IX Coordinator
The Title IX Administrator role listed below refer to a role within the Title IX Grievance Procedure (CWUR 3-45-061).
Thomas Pedersen, Title IX Coordinator
- Title IX Investigators
The Title IX Administrator roles listed below refer to a role within the Title IX Grievance Procedure (CWUR 3-45-061).
Laura Brant, Civil Rights Investigator
- SUNY Student Conduct Institute (SCI) Title IX Learning Path (2022)
- SUNY Student Conduct Institute (SCI) Neurobiology of Sexual Assault Live Training (November 2022)
- SUNY Student Conduct Institute (SCI) Title IX Training for Human Resources Professionals Live Training (April 2022)
- SUNY Student Conduct Institute (SCI) Investigator Live Training (January 2022)
- Title IX Disciplinary Proceedings- Student Conduct
The Title IX Administrator roles listed below refer to role within the "Supplemental Title IX Student Conduct Procedures" (WAC 106-125-200 through WAC 106-125-245).
Joseph Bryant, Student Conduct Officer/Student Conduct Council Chair/Conduct Review Officer
Jessica Stillwell, Student Conduct Officer/Student Conduct Council Chair/Advisor
Veronica Pettigrew, Student Conduct Officer/Advisor
Dr. Lucha Ortega, Conduct Review Officer
Student Conduct Council
- Title IX Disciplinary Proceedings- Employee Conduct
The Title IX Administrator roles listed below refer to a role within the Supplemental Title IX Disciplinary Hearing Procedure (CWUR 3-45-062).
Staci Sleigh-Layman, Employee Conduct Officer/Advisor
President Jim Wohlpart, Employee Appellate Officer
Employee Conduct Committee
This page contains links to websites outside of www.cwu.edu. The views and opinions expressed on unofficial pages of Central Washington University faculty, staff or students are strictly those of the page authors. The content of such pages has not been reviewed or approved by Central Washington University.