Civil Rights Compliance
Barge 202
(509) 963-2050

Sexual Misconduct Reporting Options

From reporting to the University or law enforcement to utilizing confidential reporting options, Central Washington University (CWU) community members have different options to report sexual misconduct.

Know Your Rights & Options

For more information about "Sexual Misconduct Reporting Options", including confidential resources on and off-campus, view pages 5-9 of the "CWU Response to Sexual Misconduct: Know Your Rights & Options" booklet.

CWU Response to Sexual Misconduct: Know Your Rights & Options

University Reporting

The Title IX Coordinator will work with the Reporting Party/Complainant to discuss their rights, options, and resources, as well as the formal complaint process, investigative options, and resolution options, if appropriate.

  • If you are unsure about contacting the Title IX Coordinator or initiating an investigative and/or resolution process, consider contacting on or off-campus confidential resources outlined below.
  • Disclosure of sexual misconduct to many members of the University community, all employees that are not specifically designated as confidential, will require the incident to be reported to the Title IX Coordinator.

Reporting to Law Enforcement

Any member of the University community may file a complaint with local law enforcement agencies by dialing 911 or by contacting their local law enforcement directly, especially in instances of immediate threat or danger.

Outlined below are law enforcement reporting options, local law enforcement contact information, and information on preserving physical evidence.

  • Law Enforcement Reporting Options

    Any University community member that has experienced sexual misconduct has various options regarding contacting law enforcement:

    • You can choose not to notify law enforcement. You can utilize a confidential resource if you are unsure about whether to report to law enforcement and want to learn more. For more information about on or off-campus confidential resources, see the “Confidential Resources” section below.
    • You can utilize University resources and/or the Title IX Coordinator to receive assistance in notifying appropriate law enforcement agencies. If you choose to notify appropriate law enforcement agencies, a University or community confidential advocate can be present for support during any meetings with law enforcement.
    • You can also contact your local law enforcement agencies to report sexual misconduct, anonymously or formally, and may be directed to another law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over the incident. Jurisdiction is dependent upon where an incident occurred and/or where the involved parties reside. The law enforcement agency may provide you with University or local resources following your report.
  • Local Law Enforcement Contact Information

    University Police and Public Safety

    • 1211 N Wildcat Way
    • CWU Ellensburg Campus
    • 509-963-2359
    • Emergency- 911
    • After Hours Non-Emergency- 509-925-8534

    Ellensburg Police Department

    • 100 N. Pearl St., Ellensburg, WA 98926
    • 509-962-7280
    • Emergency- 911

    Kittitas County Sheriff’s Office

    • 307 W. Umptanum Rd., Ellensburg, WA 98926
    • 509-962-7525
    • Emergency- 911

    CWU Centers-Local Law Enforcement

    Please contact your local law enforcement, as well as your local information line or crisis line, for resources and assistance specific to your area. If you need assistance finding or understanding local resources specific to reporting to law enforcement and/or legal intervention, please contact University Police and Public Safety and/or Civil Rights Compliance.

  • Preserving Physical Evidence

    If someone has recently experienced sexual misconduct, the University encourages community members to preserve evidence even if you are unsure about reporting to the University or filing criminal charges.

    Preserving physical and documentary evidence is important as it may assist in obtaining a protective order or proving that an incident occurred in criminal case or University investigative process. Please consider taking the following steps to preserve evidence, if appropriate:

    • Avoid drinking, bathing, showering, brushing your teeth, using mouthwash, or combing your hair.
    • Avoid changing your clothes. If you have already changed your clothes, place your clothing and other items (sheets, blankets) in a brown paper bag.
    • You should seek medical assistance within 72 hours of the incident to receive proper care and so that any physical evidence can be preserved. Medical assistance can include treatment for injuries, as well as preventative treat for STIs and pregnancy testing.
    • The University encourages community members to go to the emergency room of local hospitals and request a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE). The SANE will conduct a forensic examination as well as collect physical and documentary evidence. If Crime Victim's Compensation paperwork is completed then SANE exams are free of charge, even if you choose not to notify law enforcement or anonymously report to anonymously. Requesting a SANE and completing an examination does NOT mean that you must file a police report. Evidence can be anonymously preserved for a set period if you decide you want to use it later.
    • The Washington State Crime Victim’s Compensation Program may be able to cover all, if not most, medical costs when a crime is reported to the police and fulfills other program requirements.

    In all cases of sexual misconduct, University community members are encouraged to preserve other evidence, including but not limited to handwritten or electronic communications and photographs of the incident or physical injuries. If you are willing and able, document everything you can recall about the sexual misconduct incident as you are able to recall it.

Confidential Resources

Confidential resources are available to CWU community members through on and off-campus confidential resources, meaning a report will not be made to the Title IX Coordinator or law enforcement.

  • The University offers confidential resources for students including medical services, counseling services, and victim advocacy.
  • Community resources offer similar supports for all University community members.

Confidential resources will share information per your wishes except in situations of immediate threat or danger, as well as abuse of a minor or elder.

On-Campus Confidential Resources for Students

Off-Campus Confidential Resources for Students and Employees

CWU Centers-Local Confidential Resources

Please contact your local information line or crisis line for resources specific to your area. Each CWU Center campus will have varied resources depending on location, including closest medical care center or emergency room, law enforcement agencies, and support services with victim advocacy assistance. If you need assistance finding or understanding local resources specific to sexual violence and misconduct, please contact PATH in the Wellness Center or the Office of Civil Rights Compliance.

This page contains links to websites outside of The views and opinions expressed on unofficial pages of Central Washington University faculty, staff or students are strictly those of the page authors. The content of such pages has not been reviewed or approved by Central Washington University.