Skip to body


College of the Sciences
Give to Chemistry

Contact Us

Science Bldg Room 302

Follow Us

Tutor and TAs

Why TA &/or Tutor in the CWU Chemistry Department?

Here is a promotional video for our tutoring program, completed by  CWU film studies alumnus, Nick Allard.





·Challenge yourself & learn more about chemistry.

·Share your enthusiasm about chemistry by mentoring other young scientists.

·Contribute to your scientific community.

·Support education in the K-20 continuum!


·Communicate science to your students, colleagues, & scientific community.

·Learn & apply effective teaching strategies to prepare for your future classroom & beyond.

·Practice science technique & methodology for your future in research, industry, & beyond.

·Prepare for high performance on post-baccalaureate & pre-professional exams (ex. MDAT, MCAT, GRE, etc.).


How to become a Chemistry laboratory teaching assistant (TA):

·Apply for a Teaching Assistantship (TA) position.

  • Complete General Chemistry (CHEM 181, 182 & 183 lectures and labs)
  • Submit TA Application
    • Starting: pre registration period upon completion of your academic schedule.
    • No Later Than: Friday prior to the last week of regularly scheduled classes

·First quarter TAs will…

  • Be enrolled into CHEM 492: Lab Experience in Teaching Chemistry.
  • Earn 2.0 credits of upper division credits that can be applied to a chemistry major or minor.
  • Learn & apply basic chemistry lab safety & foundation education strategies.

·Return as a TA, work as a fully paid employee.


How to become a Chemistry Drop-in Help Center tutor:

Help Center Page

Tutor Application PDF

· Apply for a Tutor position.

  • Complete your sophomore year & declare your Chemistry Major or Chemistry Minor.
  • Pick up and complete a tutor application form (Chemistry Department Suite – Third Floor - SCI 302), or Print one and submit at Department Office.


Who to contact for more info:

TA/Tutor Applications       Ms. Lisa Stowe (

TA info          Dr. Timothy L. Sorey (

Tutor info       Dr. Whitney Swain (

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.