Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry
Phone: (509) 963-2887
Office: Science Building 302F
- 2001 - Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Washington State University
- 2000 - M.S. Chemistry, Washington State University
- 1997 - B.A. Anthropology, Washington State University
- 1996 - B.S. Biochemistry, Washington State University
- Sept. 2014 – Present, Professor, Department of Chemistry, Central Washington University
- June 2012 – June 2016, Chair, Department of Chemistry, Central Washington University
- Sept. 2009 – Aug. 2014, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Central Washington University
- Sept. 2009 – Dec. 2009, Interim Chair, Department of Chemistry, Central Washington University
- Sept. 2003 - Aug. 2009, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Central Washington University
- Aug. 2001 - Aug. 2003, Post-doctoral Research Associate, Department of Chemistry/School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin
- My research group (see group pictures from Spring 2004) is interested in addressing biologically and medically important questions. The focal point of our research is the design and synthesis of small molecule inhibitor scaffolds against therapeutically important enzymes. Our goal is to find orally active inhibitors that could become lead compounds for further drug discovery. During this process, we are developing new and improving already known synthetic chemistry methodologies. To achieve our goals we use all the modern tools of medicinal chemistry and organic synthesis. We are developing inhibitor scaffolds against enzymes responsible for the proliferation of disease states such as HIV/AIDS, cancer, and malaria.
- Also, as a joint research effort with a computer science group we develop and extensively test new molecular modeling and computational chemistry techniques. This endeavor centers on molecular modeling, as well as computational intelligence techniques, which include neural networks, fuzzy systems, evolutionary computation, and biology inspired computational models.
- “Accelerating molecular structure determination based on interatomic distances using OpenCL,” Istvan Lorentz, Razvan Andonie, Levente Fabry-Asztalos, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 2015, 3250-3263.
- "Bayesian ARTMAP Prediction of Biological Activities for Potential HIV-1 Protease Inhibitors using A Small Molecular Dataset” Andonie R., Fabry-Asztalos L., Sasu, L., Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Computational Biology (CIBCB 2014), 2014, 1-8.
- “Solving Molecular Distance Geometry Problems in OpenCL” Istvan Lorentz, Razvan Andonie, Levente Fabry-Asztalos Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Optimization of Electrical and Electronic Equipment, 2012, 1421-1428.
- “Molecular Distance Geometry Optimization Using Geometric Build-up and Evolutionary Techniques on GPU” Levente Fabry-Asztalos, Istvan Lorentz, Razvan Andonie, Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, 2012, 321-328.
- “A Quantitative Structure-Activity Relationship Study of HIV-1 Protease Inhibitors Using a Small Molecular Dataset” Razvan Andonie, Levente Fabry-Asztalos, Christopher B. Abdul-Wahid, Grant I. Barker, Lukas Magill, Sarah Abdul-Wahid, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, 2011, 8, 80-93.
- "Fuzzy ARTMAP Rule Extraction in Computational Chemistry" Razvan Andonie, Levente Fabry-Asztalos, Bogdan Crivat, Sarah Abdul-Wahid, Christopher B. Abdul-Wahid Proceedings of the IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 2009, Atlanta, June 14-19, 157-163.
- "Synthesis of a ( β-Acetamido-α-acetoxyethyl)boronic Ester via Azido Boronic Esters" Matteson, D. S.; Maliakal, D.; Fabry-Asztalos, L. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 2008, 693, 2258-2262.
- "A Genetic Algorithm Optimized Fuzzy Neural Network Analysis of the Affinity of Inhibitors for HIV-1 Protease" Levente Fabry-Asztalos, Razvan Andonie, Catharine J. Collar, Sarah Abdul-Wahid, Nicholas Salim, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2008, 2903-2911
- "A New Fuzzy ARTMAP Approach for Predicting Biological Activity of Potential HIV-1 Protease Inhibitors" Razvan Andonie, Levente Fabry-Asztalos, Lukas Magill, Sarah Abdul-Wahid Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (BIBM 2007), 2007, 56-61.
- "An Integrated Soft Computing Approach for Predicting Biological Activity of Potential HIV-1 Protease Inhibitors" Andonie, R.; Fabry-Asztalos, L.; Abdul-Wahid, S.; Collar, C. J.; Salim, N. Proceedings of the IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 2006, 7495-7502.
- "Neuro-fuzzy Prediction of Biological Activity and Rule Extraction for HIV-1 Protease Inhibitors" Andonie, R.; Fabry-Asztalos, L.; Collar, C. J.; Abdul-Wahid, S.; Salim, N. Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, San Diego, 2005, 113-120.
- "Glass Catalyzed Conversion of Boronic Esters of Asymmetric Diols to Diol Sulfites and Amine Complexes of Boron Halides," Matteson, D.S.; Hiscox, W.C.; Fabry-Asztalos, L.; Kim, G.; Siems, W.F. III. Organometallics, 2001, 20, 2920-2923.
- "Efficient Syntheses of Fluorinated Aryl Alcohols of High Enantiomeric Purity via Boronic Esters," Singh, R. P.; Twamley, B.; Fabry-Asztalos, L.; Matteson, D. S.; Shreeve, J. M.J.Org. Chem., 2000, 65, 8123-8125.
- "Inhibition of HIV-1 Protease by a Boron-Modified Polypeptide," Pivazyan, A. D.; Matteson, D. S.; Fabry-Asztalos, L.; Singh, R. P.; Lin, P; Blair, W.; Guo, K; Robinson, B.; Prusoff, W. H. Biochem. Pharma., 2000, 60, 927-936.
- "Preparation of borinic acid peptide derivatives as protease inhibitors," Matteson, D. S.; Fabry-Asztalos, L.; Prusoff, W. H.; Pivazyan, A. D. PCT Int. Appl. 2003, 50 pp., CODEN:PIXXD2 WO 0315706 A2 20030227 CAN 138:188075 AN 2003: 154193.