Associate Professor, Organic and Natural Products Chemistry
Phone: (509) 963-2882
Organic Chemistry Lecture
Organic Chemistry Laboratory
Current Topics in Chemistry - Natural Products Chemistry
- 1996 - Ph.D. Organic Chemistry. University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA Advisor: Dr. James B. Gloer
- 1987 - M.S. OrganicChemistry. Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO Advisor: Dr. Frank R. Stermitz
- 1985 - B.S. Chemistry. Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2008 - present - Central Washington University, Ellensburg, WA, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Teaching and research in organic and natural products chemistry
- July 2005 - Jan. 2008 - Efficas, Inc., Boulder, CO, Director, Natural Products Research
Bioactives from food and plant extracts for health and nutritional management of disease
- Jan. 1999 - June 2005 - The University of Tulsa, Tulsa, OK, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Primary investigator in a botanical natural products research program
- Feb. 1996 - Jun. 1998 - Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, CA, Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
Original research in marine natural products chemistry, advisor Dr.William Fenical
- Jan. 1989 - May 1991 - Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, Wallingford, CT, Associate Research Scientist
Conducted original research in antitumor natural products chemistry
- Jan. 1988 - Dec. 1988 - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, Research Assistant
Research in biological oceanography
- Natural Products Chemistry
- Isolation and Characterization of Plant Natural Products
- Collaborative Efforts for Evaluation of Biological Activity of Isolated Natural Products
- Development and Applications of New Methods in Natural Product Discovery
- Applications of Ethnopharmacology in Natural Product Discovery
- Belofsky, G.; Carreno, R.; John, D.T.; Goswick, S.M. “Activity of Isoflavans of Dalea aurea (Fabaceae) against the Opportunistic Ameba Naegleria fowleri” Planta medica, 2006, 72, 383-386.
- Belofsky, G.; Carreno, R.; Lewis, K.; Ball, A.R.; Casadei, G.; Tegos, G.P. "Metabolites of the ‘Smoke Tree’ Dalea spinosa Potentiate Antibiotic Activity against Multi-Drug Resistant (MDR) Staphylococcus aureus" Journal of Natural Products, 2006, 69, 261-264.
- Belofsky, G.; French, A.F.; Wallace, D.R.; Dodson, S.L. "New Geranyl Stilbenes from Dalea purpurea with in vitro Opioid Receptor Affinity," Journal of Natural Products, 2004, 67, 26-30.
- Belofsky, G.N.; Anguera, M.; Jensen, P.R.; Fenical, W.; Köck, M. "Oxepinamides A-C and Fumiquinazolines H-I: Bioactive Metabolites from a Marine Isolate of a Fungus of the Genus Acremonium," Chemistry, A European Journal 2000, 6, 1355.
- Belofsky, G.N.; Jensen, P.R.; Fenical, W., "Sansalvamide A: A New Cytotoxic Cyclic Depsipeptide Produced by a Marine Isolate of a Fungus of the Genus Fusarium," Tetrahedron Letters 1999, 40, 2913.
- Belofsky, G.N.; Jensen, P.R.; Renner, M.K.; Fenical, W., "New Cytotoxic Sesquiterpenoid Nitrobenzoyl Esters from a Marine Isolate of the Fungus Aspergillus versicolor," Tetrahedron 1998, 54, 1715.
- Belofsky, G.N.; Gloer, K.B.; Gloer, J.B.; Wicklow, D.T.; Dowd, P.F., "New p-Terphenyl and Polyketide Metabolites from the Sclerotia of Penicillium raistrickii," Journal of Natural Products 1998, 61, 1115.
- Belofsky, G.N.; Gloer, J.B.; Wicklow, D.T.; Dowd, P.F., "Shearamide A: A New Cyclic Peptide from the Ascostromata of Eupenicillium shearii," Tetrahedron Letters 1998, 39, 5497.
- Krasnoff, S.B.; Gibson, D.M.; Belofsky, G.N.; Gloer, K.B.; Gloer, J.B., "New Destruxins from the Entomopathogenic Fungus Aschersonia sp.," Journal of Natural Products 1996, 59, 485.
- Belofsky, G.N.; Gloer, J.B.; Wicklow, D.T.; Dowd, P.F., "Antiinsectan Alkaloids: Shearinines A-C and a New Paxilline Derivative from the Ascostromata of Eupenicillium shearii," Tetrahedron 1995, 51, 3959.
- Matson, J.A.; Colson, K.L.; Belofsky, G.N.; Blieberg, B.B., "Sandramycin, A Novel Antitumor Antibiotic Produced by a Nocardioides sp. II. Structure Determination," Journal of Antibiotics 1993, 46, 162.
- Stermitz, F.R.; Belofsky, G.N.; Ng, D.; Singer, M.C., "Quinolizidine Alkaloids Obtained by Pedicularis semibarbata (Schrophulariaceae) from Lupinus fulcratus (Leguminosae) Fail to Influence the Specialist Herbivore Euphydryas editha (Lepidoptera)," Journal of Chemical Ecology 1989, 15, 2521.
- Belofsky, G.N.; Bowers, M.D.; Janzen, S.; Stermitz, F.R., "Iridoid Glycosides of Aureolaria flava (Schrophulariaceae) and their Sequestration by Euphydryas phaeton (Nymphalideae) Butterflies," Phytochemistry 1989, 28, 1601.
- Belofsky, G.N.; Stermitz, F.R., "10-trans-Cinnamoylmelittoside and other Iridoids from Castilleja wightii," Journal of Natural Products 1988, 51, 614.