Career Counseling encompasses many of our services. Individual counseling is available at no cost to enrolled students, alumni, faculty and staff by appointment. Community members are also welcome to use our services; please call or email our office for rates. Appointments are available Monday through Friday 9 - 5 p.m. Schedule an appointment online or contact us through email or phone (509) 963-1921 to schedule for you.
A career counselor can assist in the following areas:
- Selecting a major or graduate program
- Personal career inventories
- On-line assessments
- Resume and cover letter reviews
- Interviewing skills and preparation, including mock interviews
- Successful job search strategies
- Graduate school process and application
- Employer research
- Career direction and career transition
- Alumni mentoring
- Informational interviews
- Drop-in Career Counseling
During drop-in sessions, staff are available to assist with resumes and cover letters, interviewing, and general career questions. While CWU staff work remotely, our drop-in hours are extremely limited. Please check our drop-ins page for the current schedule.
- Online Career Counseling
Online career guidance is a service for Central Washington University students and alumni. This service is designed to assist individuals who are not able to meet face to face with a career counselor. While our staff are working remotely because of COVID-19, nearly all career counseling appointments will be held online via Zoom. Book appointments with our staff.
We also review resumes and cover letters via email. Please allow at least 5 business days for revisions after submitting your document(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Internships/Cooperative Education
Career Services coordinates all the paperwork and registration for academic credit internships. The internship section of our website provides full information about the process of getting academic credit for internships, including student guides and process checklists.
- Employment Support
Career Services hosts numerous workshops and events for job-seekers throughout the academic year. Our full listing is kept updated with descriptions and necessary links.
Wildcat Career Network: The Wildcat Career Network (WCN) is a database that helps you search for jobs and internships. Students can access it through their MyCWU dashboard (under Applications). CWU alumni, faculty, and staff can access and register for the Wildcat Career Network, as well. It also contains career exploration information, upcoming workshop and event information, and a mock interview tool.
- Career Education
Along with our regularly offered workshops, our staff and peer advisors are available to present to students, staff and faculty on campus.
- Resumes & Cover Letters
- Interviewing Skills
- Dependable Strengths
- Typefocus/MBTI Interpretation
- Strong Interest Inventory Interpretation
- Cooperative Education/Internships
- Job Search
- LinkedIn Basics
- What Can You Do with a Major In...?
- Check out our career videos on our You Tube channel
- Career Assessments
If you are wondering what type of career would suit your personality, take the TypeFocus assessment. The TypeFocus is an online, short assessment, modeled after the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. (The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is a registered trademark of Consulting Psychologists Press, Inc.) It will take you approximately 15 minutes to complete. Results come back to you immediately. It is linked with the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook site, which will provide you with detailed information (work environment, training, salary, etc.) on thousands of types of careers.
To get started:
- Visit: https://typefocus7.com/userLogin(link is external)
- Email Career Services or call us at (509) 963-1921 to request the TypeFocus access code
- New users: Click the green "Register" button
- Returning users: Fill in credentials and click "Sign In"
Strong Interest Inventory
If you would like to know which of your interests matches with certain occupations, please make an appointment with a counselor to discuss taking the Strong Interest Inventory. The Strong is taken online; however, you will first need to make an appointment with one of CWU's Career Counselors. They will give you the instructions for the test and then you will meet with them again to go over the results.
Both of these assessments have been around for many years and their results are well researched and documented.
WOIS/The Career Information System
Use WOIS/The Career Information System to explore careers, create goals for your future, make educational plans to reach your goals, and find the training programs and the right schools to help you achieve your dreams. Whether you are ready to find a job right now, or you want to make a plan for more education and future employment, WOIS has the exploration and planning tools for YOU!
Getting Started with WOIS:
- Go to www.wois.org
- Email Career Services or call us at (509) 963-1921 to request the WOIS site key
- Click "Use WOIS"
- Click on the “Create a New Portfolio” button in the upper right corner and follow instructions to create an account including choosing a Username and Password
- Click on the desired activity from the left hand list.
- Assessment and search results can be saved to your portfolio for future reference.
- Check out the Career Interest Survey, Occupation Descriptions, Dependable Strengths, and more.
Make an appointment with one of our Career Counselor to better understand the results of your WOIS assessments.
Career Services on YouTube
The Career Services YouTube channel is a 24/7 resource for videos that will help you on your road to success, including recordings of past workshops and events, career path interviews with CWU alumni, and more!Click here to check out our channel!
This page contains links to websites outside of www.cwu.edu. The views and opinions expressed on unofficial pages of Central Washington University faculty, staff or students are strictly those of the page authors. The content of such pages has not been reviewed or approved by Central Washington University.