April is Student Employee Appreciation Month
Do something nice for your student employees!
Student Employee Recognition Ideas
Ideas to Celebrate Student Employment Month
- Give students a care package with cookies, candy, popcorn, a mug and hot chocolate packets.
- Share a decorated “Thank You” cake with all the students in your department.
- Send your students flowers or give them a plant to remember your department
- Post a sign in your department, "We Appreciate Our Student Employees"
- Have your staff wear special badges that say "Student Employees are Great" or "We Appreciate our Student Staff"
- Honor your student employees with a round of applause at your department staff meeting
- Design and present your student employees certificates of appreciation
- Create gift bags for each student, and invite your staff to deposit small items in the gift bags
- Present your student employees with flowers
- Purchase gift certificates for meaningful purchases: bookstore, coffee shop, restaurant, gas station
- Encouraging supervisors to take their student employees to lunch, or to host a departmental open house for all student employees
- Prepare "Certificates of Excellence" for your student employees
- Create and present your student staff members with a proclamation that celebrates their unique contributions to your office ("Be it hereby proclaimed that Jane shall be known hereafter as the Superhero of Student Employment!")
- Plan a special Student Employment Recognition day Treat Day - full-time staff bring in treats/lunch for student employees.
- Treat students to a pizza party, potluck lunch, or special breakfast.
- Take pictures - post employee pictures (in your office, around campus, on your office website or University homepage) and list what wonderful things they do for your department.
- Coupon Booklets - this is always a hit with students! Insert coupons for a free can of soda, movie night at the boss' house (everyone needs to redeem for this one), one dozen home baked goodies, etc. Be creative in designing your own coupons.
- Notes Home - send a note to the families of your student employees. Let them know what the student does, how their work impacts your department, and how terrific the student is.
- Buy low cost, blank certificates and make up awards for students: best telephone voice, best web-surfer, etc.
- Friendship Plants - take cuttings from a plant in the office and give to each student as a live "connection" to the office.
- Bright Ideas - spray paint a light bulb gold, screw into a jar of Play-Doh and make a label around the jar naming who is receiving the "Bright Idea" award.
- Good Egg Award - buy plastic Easter Eggs, fill with goodies and give out with "Good Egg" certificates. List what the student did to deserve this award
- Pat on the Back - Draw an outline of your hand on a piece of paper. Photocopy enough copies for all students in your office. On each hand write a note that tells the student why they deserve a "Pat on the Back".
- Use this week as an opportunity to start an award recognition program. Look around the office or at home for a white elephant item. Name the item for the award (Employee of the Month/Week, Great Idea Award, Gotcha Award - catch someone in the act of doing something good) and then make the first presentation of it during Student Employment Week.
- Make a banner to hang for the whole week in your office. Decorate an office bulletin board or the office door for the week in recognition of your students.