Skip to body


Contact Us

Biological Sciences
Science Building 338
(509) 963-2731

Follow Us

Advising FAQs

Biology Advising Information & Drop In Office Hour Schedule

I am interested in organisms and ecology, do I really need to take any math courses?

Yes. All biology majors should have taken math through Pre-Calculus. Specific programs may require additional math courses. For example the Pre-Veterinary program also requires Statistics and the Pre-Med program requires Essential Calculus.

When should I start taking Chemistry?

Immediately. The chemistry courses required for Biology majors are all part of a larger series. These courses are offered only during specific quarters. Therefore, if you want to graduate on time, you need to start with General Chemistry CHEM 181 as soon as you can, preferably your first quarter here at CWU.

What if I need to take additional math courses to get into CHEM 181?

Get registered for the MATH courses you need or take the MATH placement exam as soon as possible. The quicker you get through this requirement the sooner you will be on track.

Why do I have to take so much chemistry and math?

The biology of all living things involves many complex chemical reactions. If you do not fully understand basic chemistry you can never fully understand how living organisms work and interact. Biology is also an experimental science that requires the acquisition of data to support (or reject) hypotheses. You need to understand math through basic algebra to analyze data, work in a lab with solutions, understand basic processes such as enzyme kinetics.

What courses do I need for a Bachelors Degree in Biology?

The list of required courses is available on-line, in the university catalog, and in the main Biology office. There are some differences depending on whether you are pursuing a B.S. (Bachelor of Science) or a B.A. (Bachelor of Arts).

Should I get a B.A. or a B.S.?

That depends on what you want to do after you graduate. The B.A. path is usually taken by those interested in Pre- Med and other Pre-Professional programs. The B.S. path is taken by students who are interested in Graduate School. Definitely talk to your advisor to get a better explanation and more information.

Where is the Registrars Office?

The registrar is located in Mitchell Hall. See a map of the campus.

What type of financial aid is available to me?

If you are a Pre-Med student and have a good GPA, you may be able to apply for the Farrell Pre-Med Scholarship.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.