Skip to body

ASCWU Student Government

Academic Affairs FAQ's

VP for Academic Affairs | (509) 963-1765 | 


1. How do I become a senator?
If you are interested in representing your academic department as a senator, you can find the application HERE. The form will require a signature from the chair of your department before submission to the VP of Academic Affairs. Upon the submission to the VP of Academic Affairs, you will be a senator or senator-Alternate for said department following your appointment at the next public ASCWU Executive meeting. You do not need to attend this meeting, and you will be informed of your appointment via CWU email.

2. What does a Senator do?
Twice a month senators convene at Senate meetings (see the Student Academic Senate page, linked on the navigation pane to the left) where they are debriefed on current events, changes in university policies, and represent the interests of department peers. 

3. How much time does a senator need to invest?

Senate meetings are scheduled twice a month and typically last one hour. In addition to Senate meetings, senators should expect to be available at least one hour per month for in-person meetings that may arise if a student within his or her department requires senator assistance. Senators should also allow time in their schedules to promote and raise publicity for the Senate and its goals.


5. What if a Senator needs to miss a meeting?

Senators are allowed one unexcused absence per quarter. Two unexcused absences will result in bad standing, during which time their respective departments will be unable to request funds. Senators may be returned to good standing by attending two consecutive meetings. Senators are encouraged to recruit an alternate senator to attend meetings in case of an unavoidable absence. 


7. Where can I find a SAS funds request?

Funds requests will be handled by the Funds Council.


8. If I have an academic issue how do I solve it?

Before coming to the VP for Academic Affairs, speak first with the relevant faculty members: the professor of the course in which you have a dispute; your academic adviser; and the chair of your department. If you fail to achieve an adequate resolution after doing so, compose a written report, documenting dates, times and with whom you met, and make an appointment to speak with the VP of Academic Affairs or the Administrative Assistant. They can advise you on what steps you will need to take next. 


9. What kind of things can SAS and Academic Affairs help me with?

The office of Academic Affairs exists to help ensure Wildcats have the resources they need to make the most of their academic careers, whether they need a detailed explanation on how to fill out a funds request, have a question about student rights and responsibilities, or assistance navigating Canvas and Blackboard. You are also encouraged to contact your VP if you have ideas for changes in curriculum, would like to sit on a committee or other ways to get involved on campus, or have questions regarding your representation in the Student Academic Senate. 


Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.