Apply to CWU

Request Info.

Bouillon Hall 202

Additional Admission Information

There's plenty of resources available to help you attend Central Washington University.

  • Non-Traditional Students

    A Non-Traditional student is one who will be age 25 or older upon entering CWU. To qualify as a Non-Traditional student you must provide the following documentation:

    • High school transcript showing at least a 2.0 GPA or a passing score on the General Education Development (GED) test scores
    • May required Next Generation Accuplacer
    • Evidence of success outside the classroom and strong motivation to succeed in college

    Students who have received college credit prior to high school graduation must have at least a 2.0 GPA in their college work.

  • Non-Traditional FAQ's
    • What is Early Transfer Admission at Central Washington University?
    • I'm interested in just taking a class at Central. How do I apply as a non-matriculated student?
    • Does Central Washington University have Continuing Education?
    • Where can I learn more about CWU equivalencies for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) and Cambridge exams and scores?
  • Post-Baccalaureate Students

    Second Bachelors degree

    If you already have a bachelor's degree from a 4-year institution and are not seeking a master's degree, you are considered a post-baccalaureate applicant. Please apply using the standard transfer undergraduate application and identify yourself as a post-baccalaureate applicant in the appropriate section. You are required to send official transcripts from all colleges attended. High school transcripts and SAT / ACT scores are not required.

    If you are seeking a master's degree please visit our Graduate Studies page.

  • Veteran Student Process

    Step 1 – Apply to CWU (3-9 months prior to your intended start date)

    • If you have never attended a traditional college or university (in person or online) you should apply as a “First-Year” even if you have a military transcript that lists potential college-level credits related to your military service.
    • You should apply as a “Transfer Student” if you have earned less than 40 college-level quarter credits (27 semester credits) at a traditional college or university.
    • If you have completed more than 40 college-level quarter credits (27 semester credits) at the time of application then you should apply as a regular “Transfer Student.”

    Step 2 – Send your official transcripts to CWU

    Send official transcripts from all colleges attended. If you have completed less than 40 college-level quarter credits (27 semester credits) at the time of application then you will also need to send us your official high school transcript. If you completed two years of foreign language in high school you should send us your high school transcript (even if you have completed over 40 college credits) so that you will satisfy the CWU foreign language graduation requirement (not an admissions requirement). See below for our mailing address.

    Step 3 – Submit official documents for possible military transfer credits

    Who's Eligible For Joint Services Transcripts (JST)? Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy: Active Duty, Reserve and Veterans.

    Students may receive up to thirty lower-division elective credits for completion of military academic schools as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE). Credit is not awarded for basic training or specialty schools such as MOS or Tech School. Please visit the Joint Services Transcripts website to request that your military transcripts be sent to CWU.

    If you served in the Air Force you will need to visit a separate site to request your transcripts.

    Send all official documents to:

    CWU - Office of Admissions
    400 East University Way
    Ellensburg, WA 98926-7463

    Step 4 – Apply for your veteran education benefits

    If you plan to use the GI Bill® to fund your education please go online to get the application process started. There are various chapters of benefits that service members can potentially qualify for. If you have questions regarding what chapter to apply for, contact the VA directly at 1-888-442-4551. The application can take the VA 6-8 weeks to process so we encourage students to apply as soon as possible.

    For more information about Veterans Resources at CWU, visit our Veterans Center.

As part of CWU’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning and working environment, we want to make you aware of our Annual Security & Fire Safety Report. This report is developed in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) and provides reported crime statistics for the previous three calendar years. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as those concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. To request a paper copy of this report, please contact the University Police and Public Safety Office: (509)963-2959 or