Steps to Change Name and/or Gender


To change your Primary name, a valid driver's license, passport or other legal document must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar in Bouillon Hall. If you are a student employee, you must also have an updated social security card in order to change your Primary name.


To change your Primary name, you must verify your name change by presenting your Social Security card to Human Resources within 30 days of the change. If verification is not completed within 30 days, the request will be canceled.

1. Change Your Legal Name

You may file a name change with your local district court.

2. Change Your WA State License or ID Card

You can change your name or gender markers on your ID at the Department of Licensing.

3. Change Your Birth Certificate

After completing Steps 1 and 2, you can amend your Washington State Birth Certificate at the
Department of Health.

4. Change Your Social Security Card

You can change your name and gender marker with the Social Security Administration.

5. Change Other Documents

U.S. Passports, immigration forms, and veteran’s records can also be amended.

6. Complete CWU Paperwork

To change your name, gender markers, or any other personal information, contact the Office of the Registrar. You can contact the Registrar through phone by (509)963-3001, or by email at

Fill out the PDF linked below to begin the process.

Name, Gender or Social Security Number Change (PDF)

CWU News

CWU Women’s History Month Film Series to begin March 5

February 28, 2024


CWU Capital Planning and Projects director appointed to Ellensburg City Council

February 28, 2024


More News