The Northwest Drama Conference (NWDC) Musical Theatre Scholarship
Audition (MTSA) takes place at the regional NWDC/KCACTF (Kennedy Center
American College Theatre Festival). You must register for the Festival.
Register for the MTSA when you register for KCACTF. There are a limited
number of slots. You will receive an email that you have been accepted
to audition. If you do not get an email you have not been accepted
and will not be permitted to audition. Contact Patrick H.
Newell at firstname.lastname@example.org
if you do not get an email.
Each participant must attend one of two workshops given before the
Audition. You will find them in your schedule when you arrive at the
Festival. **If you attended a workshop last year, you are NOT required
to attend a workshop this year.
The Audition will consist of two (2) rounds.
Preliminary Round – Each student will have 2 minutes to perform a
cutting of one song
Final Round - Each student will have 5 minutes to perform 2 contrasting
- The songs must be sung live. Students must bring sheet music marked
and ready to be played by the accompanist provided. You may not bring
your own accompanist.
- Enter, go right to the accompanist and give her your music, and
go over the tempo. Set your chair if needed. State your name and the
names of your piece(s), nod to the accompanist and begin. Timing will
begin with the first note of your music.
- Although movement is important and you may incorporate dance, you
will not be performing on a dance floor. Tap shoes are not permitted.
- Show a range of musical theatre styles in your selections
- Choose songs that show your range and are different in type and
- Perform the song as a piece of musical theatre. Your acting and
singing will be assessed together. Be sure you know who you are singing
to and remember to find and play your objective.
- Your music must be clean and clear and easily read by the accompanist.
If you have questions or need more information contact:
Patrick H. Newell at email@example.com