Winter 2016 online course
ACCT 305: Cost Accounting
Important information about required course materials is included in the syllabus. Don't delay in acquiring these materials.
The site is password protected. Usernames and passwords were included in the letter of introduction sent to your CWU e-mail account.
Canvas is not used in this course. Go directly to the course site for links to all course materials.
Senior Lecturer (semi-retired)
MBA CMA CPA (retired)
Send mail to John
Note: Lasik web pages are best viewed with the Mozilla Firefox browser.
Syllabi for John's courses
Excel Template Library
CB home page
CWU home page
Is a third consecutive
SuperBowl run possible?
(Unfortunately, not this year.)
1. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Best source for business-related career information. Provides career information describing what workers do on the job, working conditions, training and education needed, earnings, and expected job prospects in a wide range of occupations. Following are two relevant examples from the handbook:
D. Note: There are many other management and business & financial operations occupations detailed in the handbook. Business and Financial Occupations
2. Specialized site regarding the lucrative field of investment banking. Break Into Investment Banking, the Easy Way.
1. MSN MoneyCentral. Excellent source for free information related to investing, banking, planning, and taxes.
2. Yahoo Finance. Similar to MSN MoneyCentral. This is another excellent free source.
3. Bankrate.com. Useful source for current rates on nearly all financial instrume
4. Investing In Bonds.com. Recommended site for all aspects of bond investing.
5. IRS Forms and Publications Online.
6. Edmunds.com, an excellent resource for the new/used car buyer.
7. FRED database. The Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis provides consumers, students, economists, and financial institutions around the world with economic and financial information in an easy-to-use format.
8. Lasik approach to investment analysis and equity portfolio construction.
1. CWU College of Business Home. A rich set of resources is available under the "Student Resources" tab.
3. CWU Library databases, including access to Standard & Poors and Value Line.
1. Basic time value
FVSS, future value of a single sum, including intra-year compounding.
PVSS, present value of a single sum, including intra-year compounding / discounting.
FVA, future value of an annuity, including annuity due and ordinary annuity.
FVA, RCF unknown.
PVA, present value of an annuity, including annuity due and ordinary annuity.
PVA, RCF unknown.
2. Yield, or rate of return, calculations
APY, annual percentage yield, given interest rate and frequency of compounding.
AER, annual effective rate, given a terminal value and initial value separated by "n" years.
Time, in years, for an investment to grow to a desired future value, given an assumed interest rate.
3. Personal financial planning related
CWU student quarterly budget
Payment calculation on a standard amortized loan.
New car financing, including an amortization schedule
Qualifying model for a mortgage loan.
FRM vs ARM, fixed rate versus adjustable rate loan decision.
Retirement planning model: How much will I have? What are my withdrawal options?
4. Bond related
Bond value (issuer's viewpoint)
Bond value (investor's viewpoint)
YTM, yield to maturity on a bond
Amortization schedule for bonds sold at a discount (GAAP basis)
Amortization schedule for bonds sold at a premium (GAAP basis)
Reinvestment risk analysis on a bond
Interest rate risk analysis on a bond
Duration calculation and application, an advanced bond portfolio management concept
T-Bill primary market bid worksheet
5. Stock investor related
Stock constant growth dividends fair (intrinsic) value
Stock fair (intrinsic) value, a more comprehensive model involving earnings and dividends
Standard deviation calculation, an empirical measure of past stand-alone risk
Beta calculation, an empirical measure of systematic, or non-diversifiable risk
6. Financial management related
Capital budgeting models, a calculator for NPV, IRR, and payback models.
Cost of debt model, including flotation costs, taxes, and discount amortization, for use in the
WACC model, weighted average cost of capital model, including new debt, preferred stock, available retained earnings, and new common stock.
Cost of short-term borrowing, a standardized approach.
1. ACCT 251: Accounting I
2. ACCT 252: Accounting II
3. ACCT 305: Cost Accounting
4. ACCT 350: Intermediate Accounting I
5. ACCT 351: Intermediate Accounting II
6. ACCT 405: Advanced Cost Accounting
7. ACCT 430: Accounting for Governmental and Non-Profit Organizations