Winter 2015 online course
Syllabus for ACCT 305, Cost Accounting.
Link to 305 course site (password protected).
A letter of introduction was e-mailed to registered students on 12/16. The letter includes the password and username needed to enter the 305 course site. If you registered after that date, contact me via e-mail so that I may send you the letter.
Important note: All course materials are accessed through the 305 course site and Connect. Canvas is not used in this course.
Senior Lecturer (semi-retired)
MBA CMA CPA (retired)
Send mail to John
Syllabi for John's courses
Excel Template Library
CB home page
CWU home page
1. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Best source for business-related career information. Provides career information describing what workers do on the job, working conditions, training and education needed, earnings, and expected job prospects in a wide range of occupations. Following are two relevant examples from the handbook:
C. Note: There are many other management and business & financial operations occupations detailed in the handbook. Index.
1. MSN MoneyCentral. Excellent source for free information related to investing, banking, planning, and taxes.
2. Yahoo Finance. Similar to MSN MoneyCentral. This is another excellent free source.
3. Bankrate.com. Useful source for current rates on nearly all financial instruments.
4. Insurance.com (from Fidelity Investments) for life insurance quotes. Are you in the Preferred Plus category?
5. Investing In Bonds.com. Recommended site for all aspects of bond investing.
6. IRS Forms and Publications Online.
7. Edmunds.com, an excellent resource for the new/used car buyer.
8. FRED database. The Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis provides consumers, students, economists, and financial institutions around the world with economic and financial information in an easy-to-use format.
9. Lasik approach to investment analysis and equity portfolio construction.
1. CWU College of Business Home. A rich set of resources is available under the "Student Resources" tab.
3. CWU Library databases, including access to Standard & Poors and Value Line.
1. Basic time value
FVSS, future value of a single sum, including intra-year compounding.
PVSS, present value of a single sum, including intra-year compounding / discounting.
FVA, future value of an annuity, including annuity due and ordinary annuity.
FVA, RCF unknown.
PVA, present value of an annuity, including annuity due and ordinary annuity.
PVA, RCF unknown.
2. Yield, or rate of return, calculations
APY, annual percentage yield, given interest rate and frequency of compounding.
AER, annual effective rate, given a terminal value and initial value separated by "n" years.
Time, in years, for an investment to grow to a desired future value, given an assumed interest rate.
3. Personal financial planning related
CWU student quarterly budget
Payment calculation on a standard amortized loan.
New car financing, including an amortization schedule
Qualifying model for a mortgage loan.
FRM vs ARM, fixed rate versus adjustable rate loan decision.
Retirement planning model: How much will I have? What are my withdrawal options?
4. Bond related
Bond value (issuer's viewpoint)
Bond value (investor's viewpoint)
YTM, yield to maturity on a bond
Amortization schedule for bonds sold at a discount (GAAP basis)
Amortization schedule for bonds sold at a premium (GAAP basis)
Reinvestment risk analysis on a bond
Interest rate risk analysis on a bond
Duration calculation and application, an advanced bond portfolio management concept
T-Bill primary market bid worksheet
5. Stock investor related
Stock constant growth dividends fair (intrinsic) value
Stock fair (intrinsic) value, a more comprehensive model involving earnings and dividends
Standard deviation calculation, an empirical measure of past stand-alone risk
Beta calculation, an empirical measure of systematic, or non-diversifiable risk
6. Financial management related
Capital budgeting models, a calculator for NPV, IRR, and payback models.
Cost of debt model, including flotation costs, taxes, and discount amortization, for use in the
WACC model, weighted average cost of capital model, including new debt, preferred stock, available retained earnings, and new common stock.
Cost of short-term borrowing, a standardized approach.
1. ACCT 251: Accounting I
2. ACCT 252: Accounting II
3. ACCT 305: Cost Accounting
4. ACCT 350: Intermediate Accounting I
5. ACCT 351: Intermediate Accounting II
6. ACCT 405: Advanced Cost Accounting
7. ACCT 430: Accounting for Governmental and Non-Profit Organizations