Reporting Options and Process

When students experience sexual violence, they may want to report their experience to get support, request accommodations, or to initiate an investigation through the conduct process or law enforcement. We have a few different types of reporting at Central Washington University. The first option is to report confidentially and receive support and accommodations from the Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator (VPRC) in the Wellness Center. If you are unsure of what you would like to do, this is a great starting place. The VPRC can outline options, accommodations, and walk you through each process to help you make the best decision for yourself.

The next reporting option is to go through the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities with a conduct investigation. This can be initiated through disclosing to any employee on campus, including your RA or RHC, or one of your professors.

Another reporting option is to go to law enforcement for a criminal investigation. This can be initiated through reporting directly to the CWU Police, or the Ellensburg Police.

Reporting to Wellness

When you meet with the Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator (VPRC) in the Wellness Center, you can share as much or as little as you want, and the conversation remains confidential unless you decide to report the incident.

The Wellness Center can help facilitate accommodations and support regarding academic, living, transportation, and/or employment situations based on your needs. They can also help with protective measures to help you continue your education whether you choose to go through the law enforcement/university investigations or not.

Along with assisting with accommodations, the Wellness Center can also outline your options for support and reporting.

Reporting to Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities

Once they receive a report of sexual misconduct, if the accused (respondent) is identified and they are a student, you will be invited to participate in the conduct process and give more information to help them make an informed decision. Participating in the conduct process is optional for victims (complainants), and you can participate in as much or as little of the process as you feel comfortable.

When you attend meetings in the process, you are allowed to have a support person attend with you. You will also be assigned an advisor (usually the Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator) who can assist you in understanding the process and answer any questions you may have.

Through these meetings, the conduct officer will investigate what occurred and make a decision based on the preponderance of evidence. Once a decision is made, you will be notified of the outcome. Either party may appeal the decision to the Student Conduct Council. The timeline and process may vary. For more information regarding the process visit the Due Process Rights for Respondents and Complainants page.

Reporting to Law Enforcement

When you report to CWU Police, they stand by their Sexual Assault Response Commitment. They will call in an ASPEN advocate to assist you in reporting, but it is optional to have them present as they gather basic information. CWU Police will encourage you to get a SANE kit done at Kittitas Valley Healthcare, and once that is done, they will conduct a thorough interview in order to get as much information as possible.

It’s important to note that when reporting to CWU Police, you can report anonymously, and you do not have to press charges.

Helpful Links

What does the On Campus Reporting Process Look Like?
What is a Mandatory Reporting?
What are statistics at CWU?

Questions? Please contact:

■ Thomas Pedersen, Interim Title IX Coordinator (; 509-963-2031); or

■ Marissa Howat, Director, Wellness Center (; 509-963-3233)