Skip to body

Office of Undergraduate Research

Undergraduate Travel Grants

All Central Washington University undergraduate students who are admitted to degree programs may apply for an Undergraduate Travel Grant to help defray the costs of travel, per diem, and registration in connection with travel to conferences, meetings, exhibits, or performances where the results of their faculty-mentored research, scholarship, or creative activity will be presented.  

The maximum grant for an individual student presenting as the sole or lead presenter is $500. The maximum combined grant for a group of presenters is $1,500.  

Students in all disciplines are encouraged to apply.  All awardees are required to present at the annual Symposium Of University Research and Creative Expression (SOURCE).

If you need to travel in order to conduct your research, scholarship, or creative activity, apply for an Undergraduate Research Grant instead of an Undergraduate Travel Grant.

Download Travel Grant Application Packets and Cover Sheets for 2015-2016 here.

General Information:

  • Remember to include ALL documentation requested, including:
    • Written and signed endorsement from the sponsoring faculty member.
    • Confirmation of acceptance or documentation of pending acceptance.
    • A statement from the student describing the project and how the presentation enhances their own personal scholarship in their program of study and their career goals.  For Group Applications, each student should submit a brief statement on how the presentation enhances their own personal scholarship and their career goals.
    • A detailed budget form, including costs of the trip and amount requested. Estimated costs should adhere to the University regulations and rules regarding travel expense per diem and cost limitations.
    • Travel Authorization Forms must be completed online prior to travel (see application form for details).  The SURC Accounting office, SURC Room 263, 509-963-1328, assists students with completing Travel Authorizations.
    • - International travel must be approved in advance by Steve Cook ( in the Office of International Studies and Programs.
  • There are two opportunities for students to submit application in November and February.
  • Application must be emailed as single electronic document from your account to: (Office of Undergraduate Research) by 5 p.m. on application deadline.
  • Applications are reviewed by the Undergraduate Research Advisory Committee comprised of faculty from across disciplines in the College of the Sciences, College of the Arts and Humanities, and College of Education and Professional Studies.