Fortier, Mark. Theory/Theatre. Routledge Publishing, 2003- Read entire text- please read by the first day of class, it will make your life much easier if you do!
Krasner, David. Theatre in Theory 1900-2000. Blackwell Publishing, 2008.-
Read the following essays:
- August Strindberg, "Preface to Miss Julie"
- Vsevolod Vaslov Meyerhold, "The Naturalistic Theatre and the Theatre of Mood"
- Edward Gordon Craig, "The Actor and the Uber-Marionette"
- Georg Lukacs, 'The Sociology of Modern Drama"
- Bertolt Brecht, "The Modern Theatre is the Epic Theatre"
- Zora Neal Hurston," Characteristic of Negro Expression"
- Antonin Artaud, "No More Masterpieces"
- Arthur Miller, "Tragedy and the Modern Man"
- Martin Esslin. "The Theatre of the Absurd"
- Roland Barthes, "Theatre and Signification"
- Jacques Derrida, "Theatre of Cruelty and the Closure of Representation"
- Augusto Boal, "Empathy or What? Emotion or Reason? and Experiments with the Peo-ple’s Theatre in Peru"
- Ntozake Shange, "unrecovered losses/black theatre traditions"
- Jill Dolan, "Desire Cloaked in a Trenchcoat"
- Judith Butler, "From Parody to Politics"
- Richard Schechner, "What is Performance Studies Anyway?"
- Herbert Blau, "Limits of Performance: The Insane Root"
A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen, translated by Christopher Hampton
In the Next Room or the Vibrator Play by Sarah Ruhl
Mother Courage and Her Children, translated by Tony Kushner
The Piano Lesson by August Wilson
Home by David Storey
Machinal by Sophie Treadwell
For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide / When the Rainbow Ain’t Enuf by Ntozake Shange