The Betty Evans Shakespeare Scholarship was established by the Dr. Betty Evans Estate to honor the memory of this former professor of Central Washington University's Department of Theatre Arts. (anticipated every other academic year)
Amount: Up to $24,000 (twenty-four thousand dollars) for the academic year is available to fund a worthy project of one year's residency as described below. (If no project is selected the competition will be renewed the following year.)
The Betty Evans Shakespeare Scholarship shall be given to a full-time theatre major who demonstrates superior scholastic and creative achievement and is enrolled at Central Washington University, with the following stipulations:
- The applicant must be a theatre arts major of sophomore status or above who plans to study abroad at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts or similarly accredited institution.
The scholarship may be awarded for a period of two academic years or for one full-year intensive program and may provide for the payment of tuition, fees, books, and room and board in an amount to be predetermined by the Department. Travel costs to England will not be funded; however the return fare back to the United States may be paid. Those awarded a scholarship will not receive funds directly; all funds will be retained and distributed by the CWU Foundation.
- Be full-time, matriculated students at CWU Ellensburg campus, with sophomore, junior, senior or graduate status during the scholarship period.
- Have earned an undergraduate accumulative GPA of at least 3.25; graduate of at least 3.5.
- Satisfy requirements with respect to major or research/creative project activity specified above.
- Secure faculty sponsorship for the course of study.
- Demonstrate a record of good character and scholastic ability to indicate the likelihood of successful course completion.
Applicants must submit a detailed plan for research/creative project activity by General Scholarship Deadlines. This plan must include the following:
- An Essay on the applicant's need/purpose for attending LAMDA, RADA, BADA (or similar accredited institution) and its scholarly or creative importance.
- A plan and time schedule for completion of the program during the award period. List class schedule and number of credits.
- A budget detailing any supplies or project costs requested beyond support for tuition, room and board, return airfare and assigned books. (Any equipment funded will be the property of the university.)
- Three letters of recommendations speaking to the character and experience of the applicant.
- A letter of endorsement from a CWU faculty member expressing commitment and availability to sponsor and supervise the project.
- Agreement to submit quarterly progress reports and to prepare a final report worthy of publication, or formal exhibit, performance, or creative work as culmination of project activity. Such exhibits or performance must be documented appropriately (slides, tapes, summary statement). Note that the final report must be provided in three copies - one for the sponsoring department and two to the scholarship committee. The cost of such documentation will be included in your budget (see #3 above). The report will be kept in the appropriate department office.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Application Deadline: anticpated for the 2009-10 academic year
Deliver complete application package to:
Betty Evans Scholarship Application
CWU Theatre Arts MS 7460
400 E University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7460