Skip to body

Education, Development, Teaching, and Learning

College of Education and Professional Studies

ELL Online Endorsement FAQs

  • What is the ELL Online Endorsement Course Set?

ELL Online Endorsement Set is a state-approved curriculum geared at preparing teachers to effectively educate linguistically diverse students. The movement to an online course set provides access for place-bound or time-bound teachers.

  • How is the instruction delivered?

The courses are delivered via an online electronic delivery system. Blackboard is the program currently used at Central Washington University. Training tutorials are available on Central’s website.

  • What does it cost to take the courses?

This course set is part of the regular offerings at CWU. Consequently, the costs are standard tuition and fees. The exact figure cannot be calculated at this time due to possible rate changes as determined by state and university administration. The current tuition rates for the regular academic year can be found on the Registrar Office's Tuition and Fees webpage.

  • Do I pay undergraduate or graduate tuition?

If you are seeking the endorsement only, you are officially classified as post-baccalaureate and pay the undergraduate tuition rate during the regular academic year. If you are applying these courses towards a master's degree at CWU, you will pay the graduate tuition rate. During the summer sessions, the cost per credit is determined by the level of the course; undergraduate rates for courses numbered in the 400's and graduate rates for courses numbered in the 500's.

  • Could I use these courses for a graduate degree?

We do not offer a master's degree in Teaching ELL students. However, we do have an arrangement in place that would allow for ELL endorsement courses to be applied to the Master Teacher (MEd) degree.

  • Do I need to take all of the classes in one year?

Our online course set has been put together with the idea that all courses will be taken during a single year. However, if you need to extend the time for completion, it could easily be divided into a two-year cycle. Based on a two-year timeline, the recommended courses for the first year would be EDBL 440, EDBL 514, EDBL 530, and EDBL 531. The second year's recommended courses would be EDBL 433, EDBL 438, and EDF 507.

  • What if I don’t want the endorsement but would like some training in working with ELL students?

Our Bilingual Education/Teaching ESL programs at CWU also offers a post-baccalaureate certificate entitled Teaching and Linguistic Diversity. The coursework required includes:  EDBL 440, EDBL 514, EDBL 530, and EDBL 531

  • How do I apply for this course set?

There are two steps to entering this set.

1. Fill out the Department Application Form

2. Go to Teacher Certification - Adding an Endorsement and complete the Endorsement-Only Program Application Process.

*Please note that you have the option of entering these courses as a non-matriculated student. If you choose this route, you will need to fill out paperwork each quarter.* 

To complete the application as a matriculated student, click on the following link: online as your campus of choice.  If online is not an included option, choose CWU-Ellensburg.  Matriculation is required in order to receive financial aid.

  • What about the test?

The State of Washington requires that all teachers adding an endorsement pass an approved test - the Washington Educator Skills Tests-E (WEST-E). Information for registering and preparing for the test can be found at this site:

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.