Skip to body

Education, Development, Teaching, and Learning

College of Education and Professional Studies

Dual Endorsements

What is an endorsement?

An endorsement is a Washington state teaching certificate area. Any Elementary Education major or other education major may add a second endorsement.


Reasons for Adding a Second/Dual Endorsement

The Department of Education, Development, Teaching and Learning (EDTL) strongly recommends teacher candidates to obtain a second/dual endorsement through the minors programs. The Elementary Education major does not require a minor, though.


1. Elementary Education is not a shortage area for educators in Washington State. It may be difficult to secure a position in a district where you would like to work without an additional endorsement.  At Central Washington University, we have many endorsement areas that can be attached to your Elementary Education major. These are endorseable minor programs.


2. Imagine looking for your dream job. 

  • Where do you want to work?
  • Who do you want to work with?

Put yourself into the shoes of a principal or hiring committee.

  • Who would you want?
  • What skill sets do you need?

Principals and other hiring personnel look for candidates who can serve in more than one role in their schools.  It is a good idea to ask teachers, principals or individuals working in Human Resources in the district you hope to be hired, which areas of endorsement they need.


3. Having a second/dual endorsement allows you to specialize and become more knowledgeable in areas, such as

Bilingual Education

Early Childhood Education

Highly Capable Learners (Gifted Ed)


Middle Level Humanities

Special Education

Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)


4. Most teacher education programs in the State of Washington require dual endorsements.  This means other educators who will be competing for entry-level teaching positions, will have both.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.