Skip to body

Teacher Certification

Endorsement Only Program

Central Washington University's (CWU) Endorsement-Only Program is available to certified teachers who hold the Washington State initial, residency, continuing, or professional teaching certificate and who wish to add a teaching endorsement to their certificate.

Teachers interested in obtaining an endorsement from CWU should download the Endorsement-Only Application and submit it with a check made payable to CWU for $40 to the Teacher Certification Office, 400 E University Way, Ellensburg, WA 98926-7414. Once an application and transcripts are received, a credit evaluation will be completed by the Teacher Certification Office and sent to you for your records. The $40 program fee covers 1-2 credit evaluations on no more than 2 of the endorsements listed below. If you are requesting additional evaluations on more than 2 endorsements, additional fees may be required.

To enroll in courses, you will need to either formally apply for admission to CWU ( or complete the Non-Matriculated Registration Form which is included in the Endorsement-Only Application material. The Non-Matriculated Registration form will not allow you to receive financial aid. If you are wanting to apply for financial aid, you will need to be formally admitted to the university.

Once you have received your approved credit evaluation (please allow 3-4 weeks for processing), it will be your responsibility to meet with your program advisor to plan your course of study.

Upon successful completion of the endorsement courses and passing the WEST-E or NES exam, you will need to submit the Completion of Endorsement form along with a check made payable to CWU for $48 to the CWU Teacher Certification Office. Once your file is complete, a temporary teaching permit with the new endorsement will be mailed to you. The Teacher Certification Office will also recommend you to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction for the official certificate.

To qualify for an endorsement to teach in more than one specialization, students must meet the requirements for each specialization, including the passing of the WEST-E or NES in each area. Information regarding the WEST-E can be found online at Information regarding the NES exam can be found onine at Please be sure to have official scores sent to the CWU Teacher Certification Office.

To view the required course work in each endorsement area, please click on the appropriate link below.

Bilingual Education





Early Childhood Education

Earth Science

Elementary Education

English as a 2nd Language

English Language Arts

Family & Consumer Science


General Music



Instrumental Music


Library Media


Middle Level Math

Middle Level Science

Middle Level Math/Science




Science (General)

Science Education

Social Studies


Special Education

Technology Education

Traffic Safety

Visual Art