Skip to body

SURC Accounting

Student and Activities Supplemental

To request funds from S&A a funding request packet needs to be filled out, this can be found in the on the S&A website.

In the event of travel, a travel authorization must be completed PRIOR to travel. Currently SURC Accounting is in the process of revising the travel procedures due to the new online travel system.

While we work through these new processes, please speak with SURC Accounting prior to travel to ensure that you have the most current information available. We advise scheduling a time to speak with a SURC Accounting staff member as there are many people currently traveling and we would like to make sure the travelers and our office have sufficient time to gather all the information and create the authorization.

Please also keep in mind that a travel authorization is required to be completed and submitted prior to travel and has sufficient time to be routed for approvals.

When travel is complete, you will need to coordinate with SURC Accounting once again to ensure that your travel voucher, which issues the reimbursement, is reconciled with your original receipts and any other information surrounding your event.

Please schedule a time to speak with SURC Accounting when turning in receipts if you are a larger group so that all the information our office needs can be coordinated among all travelers.

This page will be updated with the new procedures once they have been established.

Purchases are paid on a reimbursement basis only, purchases allowable for reimbursement are:

  • Travel: This includes motor pool, private cars, gas, mileage, airfare, and other related transportation expenses, including meals. Travel is for the most part subject to all travel procedures.
  • Registration: This includes admission fees, guest speakers and lodging.
  • Guest Speakers: A W-9 and A-19 or Invoice are required for all payments and will be paid through the University. If the payment for service is greater than $500.00, a standard agreement form should be completed with an authorized signer of the University. An announcement, flier, or any type of document publicizing the event should be attached.
  • Decorations: Decorations can be purchased, however they must remain with the University after the completion of the event. A list of decorations and who will be the custodian of them after the event must be included.
  • Promotional Items: Items for the primary purpose to advertise or promote your organization and/or its activities. No fee can be charged to participate. The item must be of nominal value and must comply with CWU procedure 3-50-320.
  • Equipment: Equipment and items purchased with S&A funds belong to CWU and the State of Washington. Equipment and certain “small and attractive” items are inventoried by the University. See
  • Supplies: The organization’s advisor is responsible for taking custody of any remaining supplies, they should be stored in a secure location for use the following year.
  • Apparel: Please refer to the Use of State Resources for Apparel Purchases document.
  • Meals: Meals are subject to the following restrictions, for any questions, contact SURC Accounting:
    • Subject to rate limits specified in 3-50-240 Meal Reimbursement.
    • Meals may be purchased for a lecturer or entertainer if food costs are specified in a contract or as part of payment for the performance.
    • Meals may be purchased for students who take a speaker/entertainer dining out if the students are involved in a program organization. (No more than thee such students per event). Meals may also be purchased for an organization’s advisor in attendance.
    • Banquet meals may be purchased for student(s) receiving awards at a banquet.
    • Light refreshments may be purchased for consumption at approved student programs. Light refreshments include nonalcoholic beverages and edible items commonly served between meals.
    • For purchases of meals and light refreshments, see the following CWU policy 2-40-200, specifically point #4.


1A receipt is any document that shows a detail of the charge(s) and proof of completion of the payment (e.g. credit/debit card charge, $0.00 ending balance, etc.)