Employer / Name of Business:
Homework Teacher –After school program #115A
Monday-Friday 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. (academic year only)
Afterschool Safe Place: State licensed nonprofit program for 40 elementary students.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Actively support elementary students in completing homework
• Provide instruction/direction for homework to small groups of elementary students
• May also work one-on-one with students to re-teach and clarify specific concepts. This may involve communicating with elementary teachers.
• Plan a theme every month or so-create bulletin boards, choose books on topic from Library and plan special enrichment activity on Fridays (usually no homework )
• Implement positive child guidance procedures (training provided) to help students deal with their feelings, engage their cooperation and encourage them to do their best
• Communicate positively with director, co-workers, students and parents
• Maintain homework room in an inviting way- organize books, and other materials
• On occasion, coordinate special events with other staff –such as local field trips, early release day activities- and may supervise children in other programming areas
Minimum Qualifications / Skills Needed:
• Experience working/volunteering with elementary children
• Major area of study in K-8 education or in related fields of study
• Enthusiastic and positive about learning
• Must demonstrate a genuine interest in children and be a team player
• Self motivated to help children improve their academic skills
• Prefer experience tutoring children in any academic subject
Why do you need this position?:
This position will further enrich the Afterschool Safe Place program and support academic achievement.
What educational benefits will the student gain from this position?:
The student will gain experience in providing academic assistance for elementary children and in communicating with parents and teachers regarding homework and/or progress. Other benefits include recognizing motivation factors in young children and using various facilitation methods to support academic progress.