Student Employment

W-2 Form

To access online:  MyCWU>> Employee Tab>> Payroll Folder>> View W-2/W-2c Forms

Your W-2 is a Year End Tax Statement that is sent out from Payroll by the end of January for the previous year worked. Read below and if you still have any questions, please call (509) 963-2221 or email

All earnings (including Work-Study) are subject to federal income tax withholding and must be reported on your tax return. You will receive a W-2 form from the Payroll office each year in late January or early February.

The W-2 form documents earnings you received payment for during the calendar year to include on your federal tax return. Contact the Payroll office if you worked on campus but did not receive your W-2 form, or if the information is not correct. Social Security taxes are not deducted while you are enrolled for half-time or more credits. Federal law requires that Social Security tax be withheld from your pay if you work during summer quarter and are not enrolled in at least half-time summer credits. (There is a special exemption from paying Social Security [FICA] tax for students who are enrolled at least half-time and working at the institution where they are enrolled. It does not apply during break periods of over 5 weeks in duration. [reference IRC section 3121(b)(10)].)

You may change your tax withholding information anytime by going to self service. Your W-4 is defaulted to single zero. Remember to update your W-4 form in self service if your information changes, such as name, marital status, or number of exemptions claimed. If your address changes, you must change it with the Registrar AND with the Payroll office. The address change form can be found on the Payroll website. The address you provide is where your W-2 wage statement will be sent in January for tax purposes. If you have paychecks mailed to you, they will go to the payroll address under self service, not the address on the Student Information system.  Payroll must pay you under the name listed on your Social Security card. Employers are fined if they pay someone under a different name.