Employer / Name of Business:
Afterschool Group Leader/Games Room Coordinator #53A
State licensed, non-profit program for 40 elementary students.
Monday-Friday 2:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m.–(academic year only) Start date January 2nd 2013
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Actively engage students through board games, construction materials and other activities.
• Prepare weekly calendar of after school games room activities
• Implement these activities daily with children in a small group setting
• Maintain activity space in an inviting way - organize construction materials/board games, etc.
• Ensure safety and supervise students at all times
• Use child guidance procedures to help children deal with their feelings, engage their cooperation and encourage them to solve problems.
• Interact positively with parent, staff, students and director
• Help prepare snack
• Coordinate special events with other staff-participate in other activities (on occasion) such as supervising children in other programming areas (recreation, arts & crafts;) and participating in local field trips.
Minimum Qualifications / Skills Needed:
• Experience working/volunteering with elementary students
• Must demonstrate a genuine interest in children and be a team player
• Self-starter who is willing to take direction, and be flexible in supporting other team members
• First Aid/CPR, Background check required. (no out of pocket expense )
Why do you need this position?:
This position will further enrich the lives of students at Afterschool Safe Place and enable the program to meet students developmental, emotional, social and recreational needs. This position also allows elementary students to receive encouragement and attention from qualified staff.
What educational benefits will the student gain from this position?:
This position provides the opportunity to gain experience in planning and implementing enrichment activities. Other benefits include communicating with parents and using child guidance procedures that are positive to engage students cooperation and deal with their feelings.