Skip to body

Student Achievement Outreach

Transferring Your Credits

CWU's academic year is based on the quarters system.  If you are transferring credits from a semester system multiply your semester credits by 1.5 to calculate the number of quarter credits you will transfer (e.g., thirty semester credits = forty-five quarter credits).

Students may transfer up to 135 quarter credits to CWU, with a maximum of 105 of these credits coming from community colleges. In general, CWU will accept credits earned at other regionally accredited institutions.

Courses equivalent to CWU courses will transfer directly.  Course equivalencies are determined by the Registrars office in consultation with our academic departments.

Other courses that are not exact CWU equivalents may also transfer, but they may only count as general elective credits. However, each academic department at CWU has the authority to approve courses from other schools that are not exact CWU equivalents. In those cases, it is best to communicate directly with your specific academic department to have those types of course substitutions approved. 

Following is a list of general guidelines for courses that will not transfer to CWU:

  • College courses numbered below 100 level
  • Developmental education or remedial courses
  • English as a Second Language courses
  • Courses specific to one religion
  • Credit for life experience

Here is a list of specific Washington state community college non transferable courses.

Please go to the Community College and University Transfer Guides section for additional information on how your specific credits will transfer to CWU.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.