Academic advising at CWU is an important partnership between students, faculty, and staff. The Online Student Resource Center (OSRC) was developed to provide centralized resources for students in fully online programs at Central Washington University. Students in online programs at Central have access to advising by both faculty and staff advisors.
To help you understand which advisor to contact for questions, the differences are outlined below.
A Program or Faculty Advisor can assist you with:
- Any questions specific to your program of study, such as major requirements, elective options, class offerings, etc.
- Questions relating to possible minors and/or second majors that would be a good match for you and your goals
- Suggestions for continuing education in the field of your study
- Questions regarding pursuit of graduate programs in your field
- Questions about career opportunities
A Support Advisor can assist you with:
- Questions about university policies, procedures, and deadlines
- Reading your academic requirements report
- Understanding your transfer credit report
- Questions about general education requirements
- Instructional support resources, such as tutoring
- Questions about withdrawing from classes
- Questions about academic standing (warning, probation, suspension)
- Problems with registration relating to pre-requisite issues
- Questions regarding math and English placement
Tips for communicating with your advisor:
- If you are a current or former CWU student, use your CWU Outlook email account when contacting advisors.
- Make sure to include your student ID number in your communications.
- Plan wisely - do not wait until the last minute to seek help.
- Familiarize yourself with the college's web pages and online resources.
- Allow at least 48 hours for a response. If your question is complicated, allow extra time for additional research. Try re-sending your message if you have not received an acknowledgement within three working days.
- If you have a phone appointment with your online advisor, please have access to a computer or print outs of your academic requirements report and transfer credit report.
General Advising Resources Program/Faculty Advisors Support Advisors