Skip to body

Student Accounts

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions Pertaining To:
Account Holds
Financial Aid Refunds
Student Accounts Office Hours
Check Cashing
All About Payments
Release of my Student Account Information
Tax Credit for Tuition and Qualified Expenses 1098-T Form


Why is there a hold on my account?

A Student Accounts hold is placed when there is a past due or outstanding balance. Other University departments may place holds for specific departmental reasons. For more information, and to find out which department has placed the hold, please call Student Accounts at (509)-963-3546 or log into MyCWU.

Financial Aid Refunds

If you have signed up for direct deposit, your refund should be deposited to your bank account approximately 2 days after the refund shows as posted to your MyCWU account. If you have not received your refund within 3 days of the date it was posted, please contact Student Accounts at or at 509-963-2225.

If you have not signed up for direct deposit, your refund will be issued as a paper check and will be mailed to the Mail/Preferred address you have in MyCWU, as of the date the refund was posted your account. If you do not have a Mail/Preferred address, your refund will be mailed to your Home/Permanent address. Refunds are mailed within 2 days of the date they are posted to your account. Please allow several days for the United States Postal Service (USPS) to deliver your refund.

Visit the Financial Aid website for answers to important dates and any other financial aid related questions.

Student Accounts Office Hours

Student Accounts is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. (except federal holidays). Payments received by the Cashiers after 4:30 p.m. will be posted the following day.

When are paychecks distributed?

Paychecks are available on the 10th and 25th of each month. If the 10th or 25th falls on a Saturday, paychecks will be available on Friday the 9th or 24th. If the 10th or 25th falls on a Sunday, paychecks will be available on Monday the 11th or 26th.

Does the Cashiers Office cash checks?

No, our policy does not allow for the cashing of checks. All Central Washington University checks (refunds, payroll, etc.) can be cashed at US Bank.

All about Payments

Where do I go to make payments on my student account? What forms of payment are accepted?

The Cashiers Office is located in Barge Hall, first floor (Room 104). Payments can be made in person, by mail (CWU, Attn: Cashiers Office, 400 East University Way, Ellensburg, WA 98926-7490), or online from your MyCWU account, or from the CWU home page by using the "Make a Payment" link located at the bottom of the page.

Payments to CWU may be made by cash, check, credit cards (Discover, VISA, MasterCard), money orders, cashier’s checks, and traveler’s checks. Payments may be made in person, by mail, or online. Checks should be made payable to Central Washington University. Credit card payments must be paid in person or online. Credit card payments can be made in person at the Cashiers Office until 4:30 on weekdays, or online 24 hours a day. Credit card payments cannot be made over the phone, by mail or by email.

How do I pay?

In Person
In-person payments with cash or checks can be made weekdays from 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. at the Cashiers Office in Barge Hall, Room 104.

By Mail
If paying by mail, make sure to allow sufficient time for delivery. Make sure your check has your name and ID number for proper identification. Checks must be payable to Central Washington University and sent to:

Central Washington University
Cashiers Office
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7490


Current students - Please login to your MyCWU account to access the CWU Real Time Payment System.

Parents or prospective students - submit an online payment from the CWU home page by using the "Make a Payment" link located at the bottom of the page that will give you access to our payment gateway at In addition to your credit card information you will need the student name (first and last) and the CWU Student ID. Payments posted through this page will take one to two working days to appear on the student account. The payment cutoff time is 3 p.m. PST. For example, payments made after 3 p.m. Friday will be posted on Tuesday. Payments can be made using credit/debit card (Discover, Visa or MasterCard) or bank account (checking or savings). Please allow sufficient time for this payment to be processed by the due dates. Notice: There will be a $3.00 non-refundable convenience fee added to every online transaction.

Can I make a credit card payment over the phone?

NO. Credit card payments cannot be made over the phone, by mail, or by email. This is to ensure confidentiality and protect your credit information.

Why is there a convenience fee for online payments?

In order to provide the convenience of an online payment portal, a convenience fee of $3.00 will be charged for the use of the online payment system. This fee will be added to your total payment and is non-refundable. This amount is subject to change for increases in cost for providing this service in the future.

Is there any way I can avoid paying the convenience fee?

YES. You can avoid paying the $3.00 convenience fee. If you pay by mail at the address above or bring a check, money order, cashier's checks or traveler's checks to the Cashiers/Student Accounts Office you won’t be charged a convenience fee. Remember to always include your CWU ID number on the check.

If I make a credit card payment in error, will my convenience fee be refunded?

No. The convenience fee is not refundable even if the payment to which it relates was made in error, is canceled, refunded, or charged back.

If I use my debit card, will I be charged the convenience fee?

Yes. You can only use your debit card like a credit card to pay your student account charges, and you will be charged the $3.00 convenience fee. Your account will also be charged the convenience fee for payments with checking or savings accounts.

Are other universities charging a convenience fee for web transactions?

Yes. Web transaction convenience fees are not unique to CWU. Many other universities in Washington and throughout the nation currently charge convenience fees for credit card and web transactions.

If I pay my tuition and fees with a credit card through the web and then later have a credit on my account, how will the overpayment be refunded to me?

We will refund the credit card that was used to make the payment which resulted in an overpayment. If your credit amount is more than the payment made with the credit or debit card, the remainder will be paid in check form or if you are set up for direct deposit, it will be sent electronically to your bank.

Can I specify which charge my payment goes to?

Yes, if you utilize the Real Time Payment system by paying through your MyCWU account. You may specify which charges to pay if your account is current, by paying in person or by mail. However, if you do not specify which charges the payment should pay or if your account is past due, it will pay the oldest charge first.

Can I make a payment plan to pay my account?

CWU offers two kinds of payment plans to our students. The current quarter, charges only, payment plan that allows the student to pay in up to three installments the charges for the quarter, and the past quarter charges payment plan offered to students who are not enrolled in the current quarter to avoid their account being placed with a collection agency.
Past Quarter Charges Payment Plan – Students who qualify have a hold on their account and university services have been suspended. These students will typically be invited in writing to establish this payment plan. Establishing this type of payment plan will not remove the hold and reinstate university services. Your hold will be removed when your payment plan is fulfilled. Establishing this type of payment plan will prevent your account from being placed with a collection agency and collection costs added to your balance. Students will be contacted by Student Accounts staff through letters and email. Payment plans not honored by the debtor will be immediately canceled and the account placed with a collection agency without further notice.
Current Quarter Charges Payment Plan - Students enrolled in the current quarter must pay their tuition charges by the due date set by the Registrar, housing charges by the due dates set in their housing contracts, and bookstore or other charges immediately, unless they enroll in this type of payment plan. This type of installment plan allows the student to avoid tuition and housing late fees and pay in three monthly installments throughout the quarter. Students will be able to enroll online through their MyCWU account. Parking or Library fines, Health Center and Recreation Center charges will not qualify for this payment plan; those charges must be paid immediately. Payment plans not honored by the debtor will be immediately canceled and their account assessed the tuition non-payment late fees, housing late fees and other applicable penalties.
Students cannot be enrolled on both types of payment plans at the same time. Any previous quarter charges must be paid before enrollment in a future quarter.

Does CWU offer a Pre-Payment Plan?

Not yet.  Nevertheless, students and their parents can make prepayments for a future quarter in person and by mail, clearly stating the student’s full name, ID and the quarter they want to pre-pay. Pre-payments made online must be accompanied by a letter or email to the Student Accounts Office. Any payment made in excess of the student charges due will be applied to the current quarter and refunded back to the credit card if no communication is received.

Can I establish a payment plan if my account has been placed with a collection agency?

NO. Accounts placed with collection agencies must be negotiated with, and paid directly to the agency that is servicing your account. If a payment is made directly to Central (whether in person, by mail, or online), on an account placed at a collection agency, Central will immediately notify the collection agency of the payment and corresponding collection fees will be added to your account, without exception.

How can my parents get information about my student account?

You need to authorize CWU, in writing, to give information about your student account to your parents or significant others. Without your authorization we will not give information about your account, even if your parents are paying for your educational expenses. You need to fill out the Release of Information Form and return to the Dean of Student Success Office or at Bouillon Hall, Room 204. Note: Federal Law does not allow us to release any detailed information about the student's account without his/her written permission, regardless of who is making the payments. You can also allow them to access your account online using your MyCWU access.

When will I receive my 1098-T form? Can I get a duplicate of my form? Where do I get more information about the Hope Scholarship and the Lifetime Learning tax credits?

The 1098-T forms will be mailed by January 31st. You can view and print all your 1098-T information online!! Go to your MyCWU account (easy instructions at right in the NEWS section). For detailed information about the tax credit, go to IRS Publication 970.