The STEP Bridging program provides special seminar classes and research opportunities for new transfer students majoring in science, math, or engineering. The objectives of this program are to...
- Connect new students with faculty in their area of interest and expose students to undergraduate research opportunities at CWU.
- Prepare students to write an effective research proposal and to carry out an independent research project.
- Provide extra advising that is tailored to the needs of science/math/engineering students.
Classes and Research Projects
- Students enroll in STEP 301 (1 credit) during their first Fall quarter at CWU. This seminar course helps you plan your degree at CWU, get involved with your major department, meet faculty, and learn about research opportunities.
- As part of the STEP 301 class, each student chooses a research topic and a faculty research mentor. In collaboration with the mentor, you write a proposal for a research project that will be carried out during your first year at CWU. Proposals are due at the end of the Fall quarter.
- Students with accepted projects enroll in STEP 302 (2 credits) during the following Winter quarter. This course provides an overview of scientific methodologies, including literature survey, effective design of experiments, data analysis, and communicating results.
- Students are expected to present the results of their research project at the annual CWU SOURCE (Symposium On University Research and Creative Expression) event.
Students who transfer to CWU with an Associates Degree and who plan to major in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics are eligible to enroll in STEP 301. Running Start students are encouraged to apply to the STEP Freshman program. Current CWU students who have between 30 and 60 credits of science, math, or engineering courses may also enroll in STEP 301.
To apply to the STEP Transfer Program, click here.
If you are interested in signing up for the STEP 301, contact the STEP Program Coordinator, Colleen Falconer, via phone (509-963-3002) or email.