Skip to body

Services and Activities

Minutes - Oct 24, 2007

Services and Activities Fee Committee

Minutes
October 24, 2007

Attendance: Jack Baker, Krista Bjorge, Anna Boyer, Julia Cain, Ed Day, Bob Hood, Kay Kenison, Kevin Kimball, Jeremy McCann, Sara Peung, Scott Robinson, Brent Weisel, Teri Willard, and Wendy Williams. Others: Gary Baldevia, Solar Panel Project.

Meeting called to order: Brent Weisel called the meeting to order at 5:10 p.m. and attendance taken-all present.

Additions to the agenda:

  • Approval of the minutes from October 3, 2007
  • Financial presentation by Ed Day

Approval of the minutes from October 3, 2007: Scott Robinson moved to approve the minutes as presented. Jeremy McCann seconded. All in favor. Motion carried.

Supplemental Requests:

Solar Panel Project – Gary Baldevia: A request for $850 to purchase supplies for Phase II of the solar panel project. Other expenses have been paid for by donations. The benefit is that students can learn about solar energy through hands-on experience. There is no department funding this project. Gary was thanked for his presentation and advised that the request will be voted on at next week’s S&A meeting and he will be contacted after the meeting. If the committee has any specific questions, please email Gary Baldevia.

Readership Program - Jack Baker: The Readership Program provides the Seattle Times and the Seattle P-I daily for students. The program originally was provided by all the VPs, but they no longer wish to fund this program. Charlotte Tullos is currently providing the funding and would like to be reimbursed for these expenses even if S&A decides to fund the program or if the program is dropped. The yearly subscription rate is approximately $7,000-$8,000 a year. There has been no accounting for the number of papers that are used daily and how many are returned. A custodian is responsible for putting the papers out daily and picking up the unused papers and returning them. Jack Baker and Anna Boyer will try to find data on the number of papers, the value and their usage. A formal request will be brought before the committee next week.

Career Development Service – Jackie Johnson (not available for presentation): Jack Baker gave an overview of the data he has received. Last year, a full-time position was funded to hire a career counselor for the Westside campus. Highline Community College and CWU-Des Moines are going to share this position. Jackie Johnson is requesting $2,700 to purchase computers to better serve the students with the money already allocated from S&A. The committee had several questions and Jack Baker will ask Jackie Johnson to attend the next S&A meeting.

Financial presentation by Ed Day: Ed Day shared with the committee how the S&A fees are funded through student tuition. When tuition is increased, the S&A fees are also increased at the same percentage. The S&A budget is affected by the tuition increase and the number of students enrolled. The “good news” is the S&A budget is in good shape, if we stay conservative. He also shared how each funded program is tracked. He showed what monies were returned and unspent last year. Wendy Williams would like to know the percentage of unspent monies each program returned. The up-to-date financial data is on the S&A website.

Motion: Kevin Kimball made a motion that the current year supplemental fund balance be set at $250,000. Scott Robinson seconded. All in favor. Motion carried.

Motion: Wendy Williams made a motion that the S&A committee listen, discuss and review the formal proposal, and wait until the following meeting to vote on the requests. Anna Boyer seconded. All in favor. Motion carried.

S & A Committee Discussion:

Day Care Issue: A subcommittee was formed last year to discuss this issue and the work was not completed. Anna Boyer from the ASCWUBOD will look into the issue and believes there is some information in her office. She will bring it to the next meeting.

Conflict of Interest: Committee members were reminded about conflict of interest. If the discussion and vote was on a subject they felt was a potential conflict of interest, they would be up front and identify this to the committee and abstain from voting on the matter.

Meals with meeting: The committee discussed providing meals for the S&A committee meetings. There were several concerns including the cost, and should meals be funded by S&A funds even though it is a student committee meeting through the dinner hour. Jack Baker will bring an estimate of the cost to provide meals. If approved by the S&A committee, it would still need to be approved by the Board of Trustees and their next meeting is December 7, 2007.

S&A Guidelines and Procedures: Anna Boyer suggested that the policies and procedures be reviewed by the whole committee. After a discussion, it was decided to review them by the whole committee - reviewing a section at each meeting. The committee will review Section I. Committee Structure at the next meeting.

Base Budget Funding: As the discussion continued, a better structure for salaries being brought before the S&A Committee is needed. When salaries are funded, there are several factors out of our control--state legislature mandated cost of living increases, annual salary increases, and reclassification of the position; and it is long-term funding. A base budget funding concept was suggested as more stable funding and would provide more control over the funds. If we are looking at changing the structure, advanced notice would need to be given to the participants. Jack Baker and Ed Day will bring several models of base budget funding to the next meeting.

For the good of the order:

Anna Boyer suggested that public comment be listed on the agenda for each meeting. This will be added to the weekly agenda.

Next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, October 31-Halloween. There were no concerns about meeting on Halloween. Wendy Williams asked to be excused from next week’s meeting.

The meeting adjourned at 7:05.