Services and Activities Fee Committee
Minutes May 28, 2008
Meeting called to order: Brent Weisel called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. and attendance was taken.
Attendance: Jack Baker, Anna Boyer, Julia Cain, Ed Day, Kay Kenison, Kevin Kimball, Jeremy McCann, Brook Rutledge, Sara Ruiz, Brent Weisel, Wendy Williams, and Teri Willard. Excused: Scott Robinson
Approval of the minutes from May 21, 2008: Julia Cain moved to approve the minutes as presented. Sara Ruiz seconded. Motion carried. (8 in favor, 1 abstention.)
Public Comment: None
Discussion by the S&A Committee related to information they wish to send to next years S&A Committee:
Discussion items and suggestions were made:
- Orientation for members explaining the S&A process and procedures, this will help new members understand, especially if they come in mid-year. Review of terms used in the meetings and when they are used, what it means to abstain and when you should, making motions, seconds, call for question, limiting discussion to committee (table) and when it is appropriate for comments from others during S&A committee discussion, the philosophy of the new four-year budget cycle, how presentations and reviews of providers, knowledge of function of the BOD.
- Explain past trends from previous S&A committees—generally, what has traditionally been done in the past.
- Base funding requests will be timed at 10 minutes for presentations and 10 minutes for questions and answers. The presentation time for supplemental requests is at the discretion of the chair. Remind chair to follow these timing guidelines. Chair is in control.
- Reminder of attendance policy for committee member, especially with the funding requests being brought before the board and the voting at the following meeting.
- It would be helpful for financial information, especially during supplemental funding, be sent to the committee for their review before the weekly meetings.
- There is no carryover to the next funding cycle.
- Next year the committee will be hearing the quadrennial funding requests.
- Carefully review travel and food requests for faculty and students.
- Is there a need for representation from the off campus University Centers on the S&A Committee?
- Questions/concerns on S&A funded positions at the Westside centers that are state funded on the Ellensburg campus.
- Continue to look at childcare funding and the possibility of 50/50 funding with Administration’s budgets
- Review all new positions and promotions for current positions funded by S&A. Review funding that may place student employment/funding in jeopardy.
- S&A Committee does not micro-manage funding allocations; S&A may question allocating funds in the future to groups who were not good stewards of their allocations.
- Any organization can ask for supplemental funding, although the S&A committee will take a closer look at who is sponsoring, supporting and other funding available for each proposal.
- Food-the committee may look at providing food at S&A meetings.
Schedule of Next Meeting: The S&A Committee will not meet until fall 2008 and a new committee will be organized. There were several student members who voiced interest in serving another year, applications available in the BOD office. Wendy Williams also voiced interest in staying on the committee and will discuss with faculty senate on her appointment.
For the good of the order: The minutes from this meeting will be mailed to each member for their approval.
The meeting adjourned at 6:35 p.m.