Skip to body

Science and Mathematics Education

College of the Sciences
Give to Science Education

Contact Us

400 E. University Way
Discovery Hall 301
Ellensburg, WA 98926
Phone: 509-963-2929

Transfer Student Information

**Certification ONLY students - go directly to the certification office in Black Hall for a credit evaluation


What courses do you need when transferring to science education at CWU?

The CWU science education department can work with students having all levels of preparation.  With appropriate preparation, students can complete their secondary or middle-level teaching programs within two years upon transfer to CWU.

**In all cases, it is best to contact an advisor even before transferring to CWU to make sure you have the classes you need to minimize time to graduation.

By the time you arrive at CWU, what courses should you have completed?

Secondary Science Teaching Programs

For most secondary science teaching programs you should have completed at least one year (three quarters or two semesters) of the introductory science course for majors in your field. The math requirements depend on the major.

For specific transfer information and recommendations see the science department for your field: Biology, Chemistry, Geology/Earth Science, or Physics and contact the appropriate advisor as soon as possible.

Science: Middle Level Education

For the Science Middle Level Education, you should have completed at least one year (three quarters or two semesters) of the introductory science course for majors in one of the four science areas (biology, chemistry, physics or chemistry). You should also be able to demonstrate mathematical competency equivalent to CWU's MATH 153 either by taking the equivalent course or by testing into CWU's MATH 154.

Students entering with the above courses can typically graduate within three years.  If additional courses are completed, it is possible to complete the degree within two years. The specific courses which will shorten time to degree depend on the teaching program you are interested in but the more year-long sequences you complete, the better. Some science teaching programs (Chemistry and Physics) require significant math. For those programs, completing a year-long sequence in calculus will be beneficial. In any case, contact us as early as possible for advising.

Not certain how your classes will transfer? Click here.

Thinking about transferring to CWU? Click here to get started.

To sign up for a secondary science education major, you will meet with an advisor for the program you are interested in, develop a multi-year course schedule, and fill out the major application form.

What major should I pursue?

  • Students seeking teaching certification and endorsement through the STEM teaching Program must complete an approved science, mathematics or computer science degree and the STEM Teaching Program major. 


Approved Major Degrees Paired with the STEM Teaching Program Major
Ellensburg Campus

Des Moines Center

Biology Majors, BA & BS options

Double Major Required:

Mathematics: Middle Level Education, BA

Science: Middle Level Education, BA

Chemistry Majors, BA & BS options  
Geology Majors, BA & BS options  

Mathematics: Secondary Education, BA

Mathematics, BS option; Applied

Mathematics BS

Mathematics; Middle Level Education, BA

Physics Majors, BA & BS options  
Science; Middle Level Education, BA  
Computer Science, BS  


Who do I talk to for more information? 

What is the schedule and modality? 

  • Ellensburg - (Non Covid years) Most courses are in-person at the Ellensburg, WA campus. Field placements are within an hours drive of Ellensburg, WA.
  • Des Moines - (Non Covid years) Most courses are hybrid and meet no more than three days per week, during the day (9am-5pm) at the CWU-Des Moines campus co-located at Highline College. Field placements are arranged with each student independently. 

How much does it cost? 

What jobs/careers are available with this degree?

  • The STEM Teaching Program is designed for students who want to become middle school, junior high, or high school mathematics, science, or computer science teachers. Graduates have also gone on to graduate school in education or STEM fields, educational careers that do not require teacher certification (e.g., tutoring, curriculum development, STEM education nonprofits, etc.). See the education page of the Career Services site for other career ideas in education. 

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.