Skip to body


The Western Undergraduate Exchange Program

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Program waiver allows students throughout the western United States, the Pacific Island US Territories and free-standing states to enroll at a reduced tuition rate while seeking their first undergraduate degree. Participating states include:
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • North Dakota
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming


Funding for the WUE program is determined by the state legislature. The number of WUE awards granted each year is dependent on state funding.
For up to date information on the WUE please visit the official WUE website.
The Western Undergraduate Exchange Program Requirements
Please Note: WUE policies and requirements are subject to change without notice.

Eligible students must:

  • Complete the FAFSA (students are not required to demonstrate financial need)
  • Maintain residency in an eligible state
  • Maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA
  • Maintain at lease half-time enrollment status.

There is no separate application process to be considered for the WUE—your admissions file and your completion of the FAFSA will determine your eligibility. Once you've been admitted to CWU and completed your FAFSA, you will automatically be offered a WUE waiver if you qualify and if funds are available. While you do not need to demonstrate financial need to receive the WUE, you must complete the FAFSA before you will be awarded the WUE. See the Financial Aid Office's website at for more information on completing the FAFSA.

The WUE program does not apply to Summer Term, Study Abroad programs, or Remedial Courses

Post-baccalaureate students, graduate students, or students seeking a 2nd bachelor's degree are not eligible to receive the WUE.

Students do not need to maintain continuous enrollment to qualify for WUE renewal.

How is the WUE amount calculated each year?

The WUE award waives a portion of the out-of-state tuition so that your final tuition amount is 150% of in-state tuition. Example of the WUE tuition cost for the 2015-2016 academic year (costs are subject to change):

Estimated tuition for out-of state students:$20,406 
Estimated tuition for in-state residents:$7,593 
150% of in-state tuition$11,389 Your estimated tuition amount
Estimated WUE award:$9,017 Your estimated savings
Note: This waiver does not cover any mandatory fees or tuition overload.
Are WUE waivers renewable?

Yes. They are renewable for up to 12 academic quarters (four years) or 225 attempted credits, whichever comes first. This includes transfer credits, depending upon incoming class standing:

  • Freshman (0-44.9 credits) 12 quarters (4 years) or 225 attempted credits maximum, whichever comes first;
  • Transfer with sophomore standing (45-89.9 credits) 9 quarters (3 years), or 225 attempted credits maximum, whichever comes first;
  • Transfer with junior standing (90-134.9 credits) 6 quarters (2 years), or 225 attempted credits maximum, whichever comes first.
For the WUE to be renewable, students must:
  • Complete the FAFSA each year;
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. For more information on Satisfactory Academic Progress, visit the Financial Aid Office website.
Note: In order to renew your WUE for each subsequent year, you must first complete the FAFSA each year before the WUE will be awarded to you.
Can I become a resident of Washington State while receiving the WUE?

No. Time accrued while receiving a WUE waiver will not count toward the length of time required to establish Washington State residency status. If you are or will be seeking Washington State residency, you must notify the Scholarship Office immediately. If you obtain Washington residency after receiving this award, your award will be canceled retroactively and may be subject to fines. WUE criteria are subject to change at any time and without notice.

Note: Residency is established through the Admissions Office. Please refer to the Office of Admissions for information.