Scholarship for CWU students actively involved in community-based service initiatives (Center for the Leadership and Community Engagement).
The following is a definition of civic engagement proposed by Thomas Ehrlich and his colleagues in Civic Responsibility and Higher Education. Phoenix: Oryx Press, 2000.
“Civic engagement means working to make a difference in the civic life of our communities and developing the combination of knowledge, skills, values and motivation to make that difference. It means promoting the quality of life in a community, through both political and non-political processes.” (Preface, page vi)
“A morally and civically responsible individual recognizes himself or herself as a member of a larger social fabric and therefore considers social [environmental, political and cultural] problems to be at least partly his or how own: such an individual is willing to see the moral and civic dimensions of issues, to make and justify informed moral and civic judgments, and to take action when appropriate.” (Introduction, page xxvi).
- Full-time CWU student
- Sophomore, junior, or senior standing
- Actively involved in service work both on- and off- campus.
- Minimum 3.00 GPA
Complete the General Scholarship Application through your MyCWU account by March 1st and complete your FAFSA no later than February 21st.
If you are qualified to be considered for this scholarship you will need to submit the following:
A 1,000+ word, double spaced, typed essay conveying:
* The local, national and/or global challenges that you have dedicated your time and/or education to addressing and why you feel these issues deserved your attention;
* How your academic coursework and leadership opportunities have poised you to provide meaningful service to your community;
* Why you think it is important for Central Washington University students to be civically active scholars.
* Your voluntary service experience (s) through the Don and Verna Duncan Center for Leadership and Community Engagement
CWU Financial Aid Office
400 E University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7504
Phone: (509) 963-1611
Fax: (509) 963-1788