(A) University procedure – A university procedure prescribes the means of implementing and complying with a policy. It states the “how” a policy will be implemented. Any university procedure must be linked to a university policy and identified in the respective policy. University procedures follow the approval process outlined below.
(B) Department procedure – A department procedure that applies only to a department or unit. For example, a procedure for employees in ITS on responsiveness to computer issues, i.e. what information is needed, location of computer, time of call, who will be responding, result of visit, etc. Departmental procedures are coordinated and approved by the vice president or chief of staff in the respective areas.
(2) Responsibility - The president’s office will be responsible for maintaining all university procedures on the web page. Appropriate links should also be established on individual division, department and unit web pages. An “s” drive account will be set up for the word document in order that identified individuals in each division can make recommended changes, in track change format, for consideration. The chief of staff is accountable for the ongoing review of university procedures and the executive assistant is responsible for the review within the president’s office and coordinating the review in each of the other two divisions.
(3) Approval Process - All university procedures shall be reviewed through the divisional lines (academic and student life up to the provost/vice president for academic and student life (VP); business and financial affairs up to the vice president for business and financial affairs/CFO (VP); president’s office and all others up to the chief of staff (CofS). The VP or CofS will bring forth procedures to cabinet for submittal to the president’s advisory council for recommendation to approve by the president.
(4) Format - The format for all university procedures will be determined by the president’s office. The basic guide for each procedure includes:
2. Approval process (PAC / President / BOT)
3. Policy or procedure number as assigned by the president’s office
4. Date of approval and history of such approval
5. Responsible department, college, division
6. Authority for procedure (university policy)
(5) Procedure Review - The chief of staff will develop a schedule for the biennial review of all university procedures that have not been modified during the preceding two years.
[Responsibility: President’s Office; Authority: Cabinet/PAC; Reviewed/Endorsed by: Cabinet/PAC; Review/Effective Date: 4/6/2011; Approved by: James L. Gaudino, President]