These procedures are governed by the policy on reasonable accommodation of employees and applicants with disabilities. See CWUP 2-35-040(1).
(1) Employee instructions.
(A) Submit Documentation: Employees provides Disability Services (DS) with documentation from a professional or medical expert.
1. Documentation must identify the disability and discuss the functional limitations of the disability that related to the workplace environment.
2. Documentation may include recommendations or guidance for specific accommodations to negate specific functional limitations, but CDS will make final determination.
(B) Accommodation request. Employee notifies DS that he/she is an employee with a
disability and requests an accommodation.
(C) Interactive Process: Employee with participate in an interactive interview and intake meeting with a DS staff member and direct supervisor.
1. The interactive interview will discuss information from the position description, functional limitations, options for addressing those limitations and the employee’s request for services. The final determination of the ADA Accommodation Plan will emerge from this collaborative process.
(D) ADA Accommodation Plan: The Accommodation Plan will be written and signed by the ADA Compliance Officer, the employee, the supervisor of the employee, and the appointing authority of the employee. Copies will be distributed to all signatories and the original will be filed at the DS Office.
1. All information regarding the presence or nature of an employee's or applicant's disability will be treated as a confidential record and is maintained in a secure manner, apart from personnel files and with access restricted to designated personnel on a need to know basis
(2) Other Procedures Instructions.
(A) The DS office has specific procedures for accessing services such as, but not limited to, academic or employment materials in alternative format, communication access services and alternative certification exam facilitation. Employees are expected to know and follow DS policy and procedures.
(B) Any problems in implementation of the Accommodation Plan must be report immediately to the ADA Compliance Officer.
(C) The CWU Discrimination Complaint and Resolution Policy (CWUP 2-35-070) and Procedure (CWUR 1-30-050) may be used to address informal and formal complaints of discrimination based on disability.
(3) Supervisor instructions.
(A) If an employee makes a request for accommodation directly to the supervisor they will be referred to the CDS for assistance.
(B) Supervisors will participate in the interactive process with CDS and the employee.
(C) Supervisor will not make inquiries regarding the existence, nature or severity of a disability with any of employee, including those who have requested accommodation.
(D) Supervisors will honor the confidentiality of all information related to disability.
(E) Supervisors will be prepared to discuss with new employees whether they have a disability which will require reasonable accommodation. If the answer is "yes," such employees will be provided with copies of the university's policy on reasonable accommodation and procedures for university employees to request disability accommodations.
[Responsibility: President’s Office; Authority: Cabinet/UPAC; Reviewed/Endorsed by:
Cabinet/PAC; Review/Effective Date: 9-5-12; Approved by: James L. Gaudino, President]