Individuals who are contacted by a person affected by a bias motivated incident should encourage that person to:
- Contact Public Safety
- Talk with the university's Incident Response Coordinator
- If the victim wishes to speak only to you:
- Ascertain whether the victim needs immediate medical assistance. Ask the victim directly if he/she is all right physically. If the victim needs medical attention, refer him/her to the Emergency Room, Kittitas Valley Community Hospital or the University's Health and Counseling Center.
- Find out the victim's most critical concerns and respond in a non-judgmental way. Recommend appropriate resources for the victim and feel free to consult with the Incident Response Coordinator for additional guidance.
- Remember, the person affected may wish to do nothing further, other than have this conversation.
- Report the incident to Public Safety (names of victims are not required) so the university can comply with legal reporting requirements.