Skip to body

Resources and Reports

President's Advisory Council - May 20, 2009

Present: Jim Gaudino, Wayne Quirk, Bill Vertrees, Charlotte Tullos, Ellen Hall, Libby Street, Roy Savoian, Jan Bowers, Matt Manweller, Shelly Johnson, Elaine Ames, Becky Watson, Pedro Navarrete

Guests: Loran Cutsinger, Sherer Holter, Kevin Opsahl, Staci Sleigh-Layman

Matt Manweller introduced Loran Cutsinger. She will be taking over as Senate Chair on June 17.

  1. Action Items

    1. Approval of PAC Minutes from May 6, 2009
      Motion to approve the PAC Minutes from May 6, 2009 with one edit by Dr. Savoian. Seconded by Dr. Bowers. No further discussion. Motion carried.
  2. Executive Reports

    Provost/Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs:
    No report.

    Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs:
    Mr. Vertrees reported that Nicholson Boulevard will open early next week for traffic. Bids will open for Hogue soon. A public SEPA hearing will occur for Hogue soon as well.

    Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management:
    No report.

    Vice President for University Relations:
    Dr. Hall reported that the Foundation Board met last Friday. It went well. A couple of board members will be going off the board soon, so new board members will be appointed soon. The search for the VP for University Advancement is underway and going well. The committee will begin reviewing applications at the end of the month.

    Chief Planning Officer:
    No report.

    President:
    Dr. Gaudino reported that with regard to the budget process, he and cabinet members have met and agreed on what they will be proposing to the Budget Advisory Committee. We will be budgeting 9200 FTE, going with the 14% tuition increase, and releasing some of our reserves. Cuts will not be across the board. Dr. Gaudino added that he has asked Dr. Street to start the effort of a "visioning" process. A questionnaire will be distributed before faculty leave for summer. Then discussions will begin in the fall. Dr. Gaudino asked the group for advice regarding the funding for the Performing Arts and Presidential Speaker Series (PAPSS). He would like to know what folks think about keeping or cutting the program? Dr. Bowers suggested better coordination of the speakers that come to campus. Dr. Gaudino added that he and Dr. Hall have been talking about developing a better university calendar for events. Dr. Manweller stated that he would like to see the presidential series continue. If we cut it now, we may never get it back. He said it generates conversation within the university community and the money is well spent. Ms. Sleigh-Layman suggested coordinating with other departments on campus that bring speakers. The series could either support those events or those speakers could augment the PAPSS. Dr. Savoian suggested going to the Foundation and asking for a match. Dr. Watson would like to see the series continue as well, however, we really need a university coordinator to handle the details of these events. She also thinks the money is well spent. Dr. Gaudino thanked folks for their input.

  3. For the Good of the Order

    Jan Bowers, Chair, ADCO:
    Dr. Bowers reported that the Building Community Group has developed several themes. They hope to hold a kick off for these themes during homecoming, so they are working with the homecoming committee to coordinate events. Department chairs are currently working on several end of year reports.

    Pedro Navarrete, ASCWU BOD President:
    Mr. Navarrete reported that BOD members are currently working to find a person to fill the position that handles insurance for student clubs.

    Judy Miller, Board Secretary:
    Ms. Miller reminded the group that agenda items for the June 12 Board of Trustees meeting are due to her by Friday. Backup is due the first week of June.

    Kim Dawson, Administrative Operations Coordinator:
    No report.

    Roy Savoian, Dean, College of Business:
    Dr. Savoian reported that registration for summer quarter and preregistration for fall quarter has begun. Roger Fouts and the SOURCE committee are ready to roll with the program tomorrow. The event begins at 8:30 a.m. Ron Dotzauer, former trustees, is the keynote speaker at the lunch. Budget discussions and increasing student FTE discussions continue among the deans.

    Becky Watson, Director, Public Relations and Marketing:
    Dr. Watson asked if there was a calendar of events for Homecoming yet? Public Relations and Marketing needs this information soon. Dr. Tullos reported that she has asked Scott Drummond and Jim Armstrong to convene the Homecoming Committee as soon as possible. Jim and Katie Gaudino will host an alumni wine tasting event on May 31 from 3:00-6:00 PM at Ellensburg Wine Works. Everyone is invited, but the focus is on alumni. Dr. Watson will continue discussions with the City of Ellensburg regarding having paw prints and the wildcat head painted in intersections. Dr. Gaudino added that he will also talk with chamber folks about this issue.

    Matt Manweller, Chair, Faculty Senate:
    Dr. Manweller reported that elections for the executive board of the Faculty Senate will be held in June. He reminded Dr. Savoian that the deans will need to hold senate elections as soon as possible. Dr. Manweller and Dr. Quirk met recently with the committee looking at on line courses. The meeting focused on how to manage our on line courses. The committee will have a report to the Faculty Senate and the President by December. Dr. Manweller added that the senate would like Jim Pappas to stay on as the Faculty Legislative Representative if the budget can handle it. The Faculty Assessment of Academic Administrators tool was distributed recently. All faculty senators have been asked to get feedback from their departments regarding the granting of emeritus status to non-tenure track faculty. Dr. Manweller will report back on this feedback soon.

    Shelly Johnson, Director, Budget Planning:
    Ms. Johnson reported that the governor signed both the operating and capital budgets recently. An ad hoc committee is working on a report to project budgets for the next few years. She will report on that later.

    Loran Cutsinger, Chair Elect, Faculty Senate:
    No report.

    Staci Sleigh-Layman, Chair, EEA Governing Board:
    Ms. Sleigh-Layman reported that she has asked for volunteers to serve on the EEA Governing Board. The Diversity Council met last week. They will be inviting Dr. Gaudino to a meeting soon. Emily Washines is in Yakima today with the Human Rights and Social Justice Awareness Maze. Yakima Valley Community College folks were very excited about the maze coming their campus.

    Sherer Holter, AVP for Human Resources:
    No report.

    Elaine Ames, Chair, Employee Council:
    Ms. Ames reported that Susan Browne from Facilities was elected the March Employee of the Month. Elections for delegates and alternates are coming up soon. Employee Council held their monthly meeting yesterday, and Phil Backlund gave an update on NWCCU accreditation.

    Kevin Opsahl, Observer Reporter:
    No report.

  4. Information Items

    1. Items for the University Bulletin, President's Report, Central Connections, and other communications
  5. Old Business

    No old business.